double filtration

Mar 9, 2009
Culpeper, VA
www.myspace.com
ok so i have two filters in my 75 gal tank

one is a top fin power filter 30 with a special ammonia filter inside it and a rena smart filter 55 going

my question is, is that should i have one of the filters made so that the suction tube is closer to the surface and the other closer to the ground, or does it really not matter

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
doesnt really matter.. get rid of the ammonia filter..I posted in your other thread but the ammonia remover in the filter will remove ammonia and not allow your tank to cycle, so in a couple months when the ammonia filter stops working your going to have a tank crash.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
yep.. the less chems you add the better.

Also I read that post about your one dragon fish I believe, my guess is ammonia poisoning but cant guarantee it but a good guess.. did I mention the API master kit? You should be monitoring your water atleast once a day for now until it cycles, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. If you take a sample to the store to have it tested get actual numbers not "your waters good" you need to know actual numbers. for example my tank is ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 5..PH- dont care.

Eww, too much ammonia. Definitely get that freshwater master test kit from API. If you get it here Freshwater Master Test Kit you can get 8% off with the code (private message f8fan for it) because you are a member here.

This is actually exactly how I started out. I had my first fish death and got the water tested. The ammonia was also at four. Instead of buying their anti-ammonia stuff (good choice) I went home and did tons of water changes.

I'd suggest doing a 50% wc every other or third day for a while until you get it tested again. The filters won't solve your problem as quick as you need it.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
She wanted to sell you the ammonia filter crap. Boo to her. :(

Do a 75% water change. That should get it down to 1.0, anyhow, unless it's gone up since then. Then take the ammonia thingy out when you have the ammonia down to 1.0 or below so your tank can grow a colony of ammonia-munching bacteria to handle your fish's waste. And for fish's sake, quit listening to salespeople! Fine for her to send her kids to college on your dime, but not so fine for you.

ETA: Be sure to match the temp of the water and use dechlorinator. If you've only adjusted your pH by .2, you should be alright in that area, I think.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
the filters wont do anything for your ammonia, you need to do a major water change, and keep that up daily until your ammonia stays under 1ppm, eventually your nitrites will begin to raise if they havent already and then that has to be kept low as well..thats the problem of doing a fish in cycle. The API master kit costs about 20bucks at most chain stores (petsmart or petco) that would be the first thing I would buy. Those filters even together wont be big enough for your tank considering your stocking, I used an aquaclear 110 on my 90G oscar tank, by itself for a while and it couldnt keep up with the bioload.