double filtration

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
another side note on filtration. i turn my water 10x's the gal per hr. if you have a 75 gal tank i would consider getting unit(s) that equal 750 gal per hr. if you keep fish that create a large bio load (which usually are the larger fish) it will help keep your water in better condition. you can never have too much filtration and better to have too much than too little.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
i wouldn't make it too warm. you don't want to increase the temp too quickly. the big thing about ph is for it to stay stable. when you check ph in your well water make sure you leave it in a cup for about 8 hrs and check it again.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
What Whiskers said about letting the water sit in a cup for a bit and then testing the pH, also make sure of the pH of the water in your tank. If there's more than a .2 difference, you may have to do several smaller water changes in fairly quick succession instead of one large one so as not to shock the fish and make them susceptible to illness. And check the tank temp, don't have more than a 2-degree difference with the water change, the fish can't handle that. The tank temp should be somewhere near room temp without a heater. The fish will manage better until Friday without the shock of a large temp change.