Driftwood, how long to boil it?

chasely

Medium Fish
Feb 19, 2005
I just got my driftwood from eBay, and I must say, it is beautiful. He says that he either boils the wood or powerwashes it, so I figure I should boil it again just to be safe.

How long should I boil it and when can I expect it to be able to sink in the water (that is, if it won't already)?

Thanks a lot.

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
I always boil mine for 6 hours one day, soak it over night, and boil it again for another 6 hours, just to be sure most of the tannins have leeched out..But if you're not particularly worried about tannins, 6 hours will suffice. and since you said that it was boiled/powerwashed once already, probably just 6 hours:)

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Ditto 100% with firebug. My first piece had been lying around my parents house for half a decade gathering dust. I boiled that thing all day one day, then 4-5 hours the next.

Main thing with boiling is to be sure it kills all the bacteria that could be buried deep.

normd

Small Fish
Mar 10, 2005
Boiling will reduce the chance for Freshwater Hydra as well, just wish i would have known that before i added mine to my tank. Soaking it in water for two weeks with water changes didnt help.

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
to save time on boiling for all those hours...also on ur gas or electric bill....i soaked mine in a bucket in scolding hot water...when the water cooled the nexted day i got a old toothbrush and scrub all the little crevices and all over to get off the dirt and little strands....then i rinse it real well...then soak it again over night in hot water...then rescrubbed it...i did this bout for 4 days straight...at the end it wasd very clean and ready for the tank...there is no way i would boil something for 12 hrs....my gas bill would be way high...just another option for you

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I boiled my wood in a large 12-qt stock pot with a lid. I put the wood in, put the lid on, and then set something heavy on the lid to keep the wood down because it wanted to float at first.

Feb 27, 2005
central illinois
not fact, just rumor

ive heard you can soak it in water with bleach for a couple days (for really big pieces, maybe in a new plastic trash can) then rinse and soak in declorinated water for a week. IS THIS TRUE? anyone know cause id planned on that with a very larg beautiful root i have. ty

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've never boiled my driftwood. It has always been store-bought (no trees/water near here). I sometimes soak it for a while before putting it in the tank. Boiling can break down the cellulose and cause the wood to deteriorate faster. I've heard some people run it through a dishwasher (no soap or dishes) to sterilize it.

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
everyone has great ideas but it doesnt have to be this time consuming or complicated....just soaked it in a bucket in very hot water then scrub it real well...do this over for a few days till its clean...then put it in the tank....thats all

May 11, 2003
Canada
Lotus said:
've heard some people run it through a dishwasher (no soap or dishes) to sterilize it.

What do you guys think about this ???

What about coating it with some type of varnish or other product / sealant so that it doesn't deteriorate ???

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
well all of the above mentioned great ideas have worked for some, hence, more tried and true options for the rest of us. I would suggest picking the best suggestion for your wood and running with it (i.e. a large piece, try snoces idea, a big piece, go with the dishwasher, high tannin wood, definitely boil for a few days, or the 'don't-really-care-just-fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants-type,' throw it in the tank and enjoy!

btw, west systems epoxy is tank safe if you want to seal it. very high gloss though.

hey guys, i have this piece of drift wood thats been soaking in water for over 1 month now (usually hot unless i get lazy and dont change it). I boil it every sunday when i'm not busy for like 30 mintues at a time and the other day i boiled it for 2 hours. What i was wondering is afteri boil it for so long do i have to keep changning the water i am using cause of all the tannins or can i just use the same water with tannins and replace any evaporated water?? oh ya and the piece of wood is still letting out a lot lot lot of tannins (strong tea looking water) so i might boil it more often

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
hmm, I'm no wood expert, but I was under the impression that the tea look was normal for a lot of wood, not d/t tannins. I know some folks that like the wood in the tank just because of the tea effect as a matter of fact......