Driftwood, how long to boil it?

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
thanks for the links, i'm gonna see if i can bake the piece of wood i found to dry it out some more but i'm pretty sure its good and dead. Does anyone have a specific temp and time i can use so i don't burn down the house? :) also if i do find a piece of driftwood that looks simliar to the one i have i might buy it and replace it with that one i found cuase my dad doesn't want me to spend money on a piece of wood so i went out and found that one on the ground somewhere but i can buy a real one and replace it :) that way he would think i found that one, but i first have to find one that is the same shape... In case i dont find one how else can i treat it?? it sinks really well but the only thing is the tannins, when i put it in normal outside water temperature water not much tannins are released but after boiling it is like tea colored, any advice will help, thanks again.

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
Balloon Fish said:
thanks for the links, i'm gonna see if i can bake the piece of wood i found to dry it out some more but i'm pretty sure its good and dead. Does anyone have a specific temp and time i can use so i don't burn down the house? :) also if i do find a piece of driftwood that looks simliar to the one i have i might buy it and replace it with that one i found cuase my dad doesn't want me to spend money on a piece of wood so i went out and found that one on the ground somewhere but i can buy a real one and replace it :) that way he would think i found that one, but i first have to find one that is the same shape... In case i dont find one how else can i treat it?? it sinks really well but the only thing is the tannins, when i put it in normal outside water temperature water not much tannins are released but after boiling it is like tea colored, any advice will help, thanks again.
I wouldn't recommend putting it in the oven. That seems like a disaster waiting to happen. If you want to dry it out, put it out in the sun or near a bright window for a day or so. Boiling the wood for a couple hours will kill the bacteria and anything else living in the wood, but releasing the tannins is not an overnight process. Keep boiling it for a couple hours at a time, dry it out, and then boil it again until the resulting water is almost clear. By then, it shouldn't foul up the cooler aquarium water.

Last edited:

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
Well, to me it seems like dry wood + heat = fire. I'm not sure of the maximum amount of heat you'll be able to apply to each individual piece of wood, which is why I personally wouldn't chance it. At first it probably won't burn since it'll be wet, but as it bakes and dries, the risk gets higher.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
How much does the water color up when it just sits vs. when you boil it? Boiling will release more tannins. I like the "black water" effect in my SA tanks. The tetras just pop and it is so natural looking. :) If it only colors your water up a bit if you let it sit in water for a week, you can keep the color down to a dull roar if you do weekly water changes and put a background on the tank so you don't notice the difference straight on. (keep in mind, you probably have it in less water than it would be in a tank as well, so the color would be even more dilute) I have some tanks with driftwood with barely a hint of color to them and others where it's downright murky (but the head & taillights are way cool in it!).

Vicky :eek:

no thx... i like clear water so i can see all my plants at their normal colors and not at a yellowish tint so i can tell if they are growing well and stuff and plus it only takes like 3 hours to get the whole tank yellowish and after a day it'll be like i pee'd in my tank so if i wait for a week to do a water change i won't even see anything in the tank except an inch into it :/