dwarf crays..

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
I recently got some cpo crays from Germany and I thought I would share some pics
I have breed them before but was never successful at rearing the offspring- I have one transferred them to a 3.3g tank with shrimp and the next day there was not one cray present
Now I am transferring a berried female cray into a 20g long tank that is set up specifically for dwarf shrimp- I hope for the female to release her young and raise the little guys there

excuse the algae..

I know by these pics that I have to invest in some serious macro lens..it would be nice to see some detail in these pics..but for now you guys will have to put up with my sub par Kodiak camera...or is it a Canon..

Anyway...here's my berried girl, after I moved her to her temporary 20 g long aquarium

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
yeah I know! I noticed two days ago and already she looks like she may drop them - I noticed that molts occur right after a 50 percent wc-done slowly of course -I did that after I put mine in the main tank

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
very exciting indeed! Ever since I put her in that 20long...I have not seen her since...I hope that when I come back home from my aquatic convention in GA...she will have released them..so hopefully I will have some good updates..

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
That's great! Congrats! I'm leaning more and more towards getting some of these guys... Just worried about tankmates since I'd really want to do a community with them... think they would do ok?

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Awesome!!!! Hopefully I will have the same luck soon :)

Krysal, the adults would be fine with smaller tetras. But if you plan on breeding them, I wouldn't keep them with anything but the microrasboras because the babies would probably get picked off because they are really tiny.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
How are the babies doing? I'm not having much luck with inverts anymore :( I haven't seen my female cray for a couple of weeks, so its not looking too good. The only way to find her is to tear apart the tank, which I haven't had a chance to do. I've seen the male sporadically, but only every few days or so. The new guys aren't doing too hot either, I can only find one of them. Hopefully you are having better luck.

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
I wouldnt say thats not looking good, Morgan...I have noticed that berried females do that ALOT...dont tear up your tank yet..I discovered mine making a burrow in my 33gal long and thats when I took her out...Out of my 6 I only get to see 1 at a time...sometimes I wont see any for days....then out of no where..I can see 4 at a time..which is really amazing considering something like this is rare for me..dont worry...
Did you do large volumes of wc? I do that occasionally..seems to work

the babies are doing well...they are in my shrimp tank, the 20 long
fiesty little guys..all they eat for now are leaves ..well biofilms..
I dont feed them pellets yet bc its soo hard to see where they are at..they are as illusive as their parents..but I do see them from time to time..that and I dont want to pollute the tank

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
Here are some updates of my crays with a group pic I took today, the photos are a lot more clear this time!

They seem more red than orange, their color is very dark- the previous batch of babies are hidden in the tank, I cannot for the life of me find them, but I also have another berried female that probably has another 2weeks to go before she drops them
Here are some updates of my crays with a group pic I took today, the photos are a lot more clear this time!

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
a few updated pics..I have had three more matings and I decided to raise the baby crays, I rescued three from the shrimp tank and I still have them, I never know what happens to the rest in the main tank, as I never see them, I have a berried female and I am going to raise all of the offspring from her