False Perc Issues...Move or Let Them Be....?

Jun 29, 2008
PA
Greetings All- I added a pair of False Percs to my 30g tank a few weeks ago. These two percs have been together (same tank at the fish store) since October 31st. I find that the large perc chases the smaller perc all the time. Both percs eat but I find the smaller one frequently hiding from the larger perc, or at least trying to hide! While no damage is apparent, the color on the smaller perk is not as vibrant as that on the larger perc.

Should I move the smaller perc to my 50g tank (cycled, empty, ready for fish) or let them continue their chasing and they will eventually calm down?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Were there other fish in the tank at the pet store? The larger fish is probably just est. dominance (sp) IMO.. I would say if its not nipping at the other one then let them be

Jun 29, 2008
PA
hahah yes there were a few other fish in the LFS's tank, in fact there were 2 other clowns (total of 4). I specifically picked out the larger perc and a decent sized smaller one so hopefully this chasing would not be an issue....

Would it be 'bad' to move one fish to the 50g tank temporarily? Maybe bring them back together? If I did move one of the percs, which one would you recommend?

Thanks for all the help!!

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
This behavior is completely normal when they establish their "ranks". The larger will be the female and the smaller one a male. This can last a few weeks sometimes, but will go away. The male will look pretty beat up from time to time though. She is just letting him know his place. Don't move the fish....

Jun 29, 2008
PA
to my surprise, both fish are getting along this morning. well the female is swimming on one side of the tank and male on the other. when they cross passes they just cross passes, no aggression... maybe they have not woken up yet!?!?!

thanks for the help. as long as both percs are eating and no one is bleeding/floating, I am not super worried.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Don't seperate them because if you do they will both become female......as they are born for all intents male and the dominant fish becomes female....the behaviour you witnessed was just establishing this heirarchy.

Jun 29, 2008
PA
I think if I did separate them it would be permanent...otherwise two feuding females would be a very bad situation!!

out of paranoia's sake, at what point is the line crossed and they need to be separated for the life of the smaller perc?

Feb 22, 2008
I'm yet to keep clowns so I can't be much help but in my oppinion if your male looks like it is on its last days then save him, I think its a matter of what you want to do:
have both together but risk the males life
or keep them both safe but one in each of your tanks.

obviosuly it would be brilliant to have them stay together so you need to decide how badly you want them in the same tank.

Jun 29, 2008
PA
If it is for the life of the fish, then I will more than gladly 'suffer' with only one clown in each tank. I am not sure if this is part of the 'hazing' period and things will get better or there is a serious bully issue.

Jun 7, 2008
india
IN sw tank keeping 2 fishes of same breed will defenaitly cause problems
but these are clowns (they should not behave like that)
one mistake you did by buying one large and other small
if u bought them becouse you thought one is female and other male
then it never happens
as u said both are tank breed
then fighting is little serious here
tank breed dont do that

adding one more small clown could solve the problem
that would give the small one a good company as big one is behave nasty

Jun 29, 2008
PA
Actually the pair was part of a larger group and I purposely purchased the large and small since this dominant/servant relationship would hopefully already be present.

why should the fact that they're tank bred matter? Since when do tank bred or wild caught clowns not fight to assert dominance?

Jun 7, 2008
india
tank breed are less wild and wild are wild
they have seen the sea and dangeours in it
so their behavior change
but tank breed are less agressive as they are unknown of the most world which they belong to
however
wait for a week with them
watch
then decide
if they they still fight
put them together in one tank with no ther fish for a week then put them again in the display tank
still fight
add one more clown(i suggest)