Feeding peas?

SLO-Dean

Large Fish
Jan 27, 2003
SLO, CA
Visit site
I've heard it's a good idea to feed vegetables like peas to your fish. (like my Plecos)

How do you do this?
I attach lettuce in a clip on the side of the tank. I weight zucchini with a rock.
But peas? do you smash them? float them?
How do you keep them from fouling the water?

Britfish

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I give them a good boiling, shell them then half them and just drop them in, they sink and get demolished in seconds they love them sepecially my clowns and Bala sharks.

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
What about canned peas? I've a lot of cans that no one ever opens, figure I'd use them for a good purpose. Should they be boiled first, too, before being shelled and halved and stuff, or can I just drop them in without the boiling? Because its kinda hard to find fresh green peas around here. Ah, and I have some split dehydrated ones, if boiled, would those be good too?

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
one tank has dwarf gouramis, silver dollars( they hang out together), bala shark, RTBs, danios and coris.

The other tank has 2 female bettas, 1male betta (believe it or not they are getting on great.....little bit of tag now and then but the females get away every time and the male just shows off a bit....no aggresion), and some guppies.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
You don't have to boil the canned peas. Just give them a rinse and take the outer shell off.
Just about any fish will eat peas....even bettas! Or, at least mine does......(I dunno, maybe he's weird!) If you're worried....just drop one or two in and see how it goes. You can always get them out if they go uneaten.