Female or Male Rams?

Sep 3, 2010
Guys

Dare I start with "the woman in the shop said" but anyway, she said she had given us a male and a female ram cichlid.

I think they are both male but would like to know what you think!
They are both pale right now as very new but neither of them have any black marks on their front fins.

Here is a poor photo, can anyone tell? They are both yellow not pink, one of them has a large dark mark the other doesnt:

marvin

Large Fish
Jul 7, 2007
florida
looking at the eye pectoral and anil fins IMHO the one on the right is a female.. better pic would help females will have a crimson belly dont think they are totaly morphed out...

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Once my tank runs for a little longer I'm planning on getting some rams. I want one male and one female, but I have no idea how to tell them apart. My LFS doesn't carry them, but they are willing to order them for me, but I'd like to be able to check and make sure there's one of each sex.

What are the best things to looks for?

Sep 3, 2010
Here is another pic

So far:
The one on the left (again) had a lot more blue dots on fins, fins look bigger, much more yellow body, bit aggressive.
One on the right, small, more black dots, less colour, fins down more

The left one is beautiful but it does bite the right one sometimes!

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks guys, little worried that the larger one keeps biting the smaller one, but it doesnt seem so aggressive as to scare the smaller one. She seems to still stay quite near him.

Could be that my nitrates are elevated, last time they were elevated i had a Neon bite the rest, shall sort that and re-evaluate. Couldnt bare to take him back, hes so colourful!

:)

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
the dots on anil fin left fish denote in most cases male to attract female
dont always believe that.... but you can see that in the pic on the left the fish's body, there is a bit more flat/straight space between his poop hole and this anal fine... this is the best way to tell that its a male.. the other has a curved body just after the hole to the fin denoting female

Sep 3, 2010
They are fighting like mad tonight! Small one has a corner and bites the big one every time he comes over. Not nice to watch, thought these were meant to be therapeutic! Hope it is just an early leadership thing :(

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
The small one has a black dot on his side, more colorful front pectoral fins, and no black part on his top fin. The big one has Blue Spots on her side, black in her top fin, less color in her pectorcal's and she has more of a black outline on her eye. Therefore that makes the small one a male and the big one a female :D glad i could help