Filter Media That is NECESSARY and...

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Of course it's optional. What do you think will happen if you don't run carbon?
I don't have that option.. My replacement filters are sold laced with carbon, so I just do what the manufacturer recommends.. I do have two live plants, but I don't use fertilizer, so the carbon isn't bothering anything.. I guess plant keeping is a whole hobby in and of itself...

Last edited:

Mixicano

Small Fish
Aug 7, 2009
Milwaukee
kyle- i believe what she was saying is that:
1. You don't HAVE to buy replacements filters from the manufacturer, you can just buy bulk filter media, and cut your own, which is cheaper and works just as good.
B. Carbon, although included in the filter replacements you buy, is NOT absolutly necessary to the well- being of your aquarium.

I will tell you this, i run a Marineland 350 and the replacements i buy come with carbon as well but i only buy replacements once, MAYBE twice a years, and i doubt my carbon lasts as long as my filters do, and my tank does just fine.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
kyle- i believe what she was saying is that:
1. You don't HAVE to buy replacements filters from the manufacturer, you can just buy bulk filter media, and cut your own, which is cheaper and works just as good.
B. Carbon, although included in the filter replacements you buy, is NOT absolutly necessary to the well- being of your aquarium.

I will tell you this, i run a Marineland 350 and the replacements i buy come with carbon as well but i only buy replacements once, MAYBE twice a years, and i doubt my carbon lasts as long as my filters do, and my tank does just fine.
i agree, carbon only lasts a short time anyway. i put carbon in once in a while but thats just when i want to polish up water.