Filteration

mcease

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I saw this post on another message board:

will 2 penguin bio wheel 330 (gph), be sutable for a 90g tank. I already have one and am thinking of buying another because it is cheaper then buying a new bigger filter. Will it be ok? I will have a single red devil in the 90g.

Im just curious becase I might get a 90g too. and im kind of in the same position

Lynn

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
For a 90G with a RedDevil I would use 3 Penguin 330s. Because RedDevils are nasty fish;D I keep a RD in a 125 and 2 AquaMaster 600s(600gph) are barely cutting it. GoodLuck!

Lynn

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Atleast a 30% weekly waterchange, sometimes twice if I have the time. Good gravel vacuuming as well. I do feed massively to keep him from cracking the tank, tearing the filter intakes up, breaking the heater(again).LOL! I hear that my RD is overly aggressive though, yours may not be so vicous.(or I hope so anyway!)LOL! 8)

mcease

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't feed too much, because I like when he is aggressive, but I keep some other fish in there for him to chase, (and eventually kill) so he doesnt get board and attack the heater.
any suggestions on the filter i should add to my penguin 330?  How much do aquamaster 600's cost (canadian)

thanks for your help

Lynn

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Not sure about Canadian, but they run about $45 US online. You can get 2 more Penguin 330s for the same price(online of course) as the AM600. I would def go that way the biowheels are superb filtration and you get 60more gph for 2or3 bucks more. www.bigalsonline.com a good place to check out.  I put a plastic ball about 3.5" in diameter in with my RD he plays with it, funny to watch as well. 8)

Oct 22, 2002
A agree with SDC about going to Big Al's but I would stay away from biowheels at this point. What you need is maximum mechanical filtration and the bio-filtration will take care of itself. I would go for a couple of Aquaclear 500's and then alternately clean the media every couple of weeks. The beauty of AC's is that you don't have to replace the media, simply rinse them in a bucket of tank water and you are good to go for a few more weeks.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
You might also consider getting a regular penguin filter and then adding a canister to the tank. They are excellent filters and you will love the way they keep your water looking. Good luck. So you are going with the red devil? Cool. ;D

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I suggest a Hot Magnum for $45 Us online. This HOB cannister is great. You can also fill the container with some media, easy to clean, with adjustable out for water..

I personally dislike aquaclears. I suppose they are good for the price, and better than whisper style filters.

If you are sticking to the penquins...go emporer line. They are much better flow, and wont clog as easy. Then again...I would just invest in one kind of canister along with what you have and your set.

Oct 22, 2002
No offense to anyone intended, but I really dislike cannister filters period. I have tried using them and find them a pain in the rear to take apart, clean, and restart.  My 11" devil and his 6" mate are in a 55g tank at the moment and it is easily handled by two AC300's. To answer your question about AC filter media, I do not change it period. I have some that is literally years old.  Just like I said, I give it a quick rinse in discarded water every couple of weeks and it is fine to use.

mcease

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
DevilMan,

How are you water conditions?  Is your water clear?  How often do you do vacume your gravel and do water changes?
And just for curiosity, what tank mate do you have with your devil, and do they get along or not?  

Thanks for the replies.

Oct 22, 2002
mcease, sorry for the late response. For some reason this site wont run on my work computer when I have the most time to check boards.

To answer your questions, water is great, I change about 50% every Sunday and Thursday. Sunday gets a thorough gravel vacuum adn algae cleaning(if needed) and Thursday is more of just a water change. The fish are a mating pair that have been together in my tank for almost a year now. They have spawned about nine times in the year. They currently reside with an 8" pleco who they haven't killed yet. As for how they get along? He basically beats the heck out of her every chance he gets for a few weeks until she decides to spawn again and then all is peaceful for a month while they spawn, hatch and gaurd the next batch of fry. As soon as I remove the fry the beatings start all over again. Sometimes he doesn't even wait for the fry to leave before he wants to spawn again.

Getting back to your original question, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking biowheels or canisters. If someone has good sucess with them, cool, more power to ya. My point was that with big nasty pooping fish like these, or oscars, you want maximum "mechanical" filtration, as easy to clean as possible. It takes me probably 2 minutes (if I'm lagging) to clean one of my AC300's. Its just a quick turn it off, pull out the media basket, rinse the sponge off in a bucket of tank water and pop it back in, good to go. They also have a little known feature where they will tell you if they are getting plugged up as a small stream of water will start trickling down two channels next to where the uplift tube enters the filter.
Hope this helps and good luck.