Finally got some fish

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I tried blue/green chromis as my first fish. Big mistake they ganged up on the next inhabitants, 2 clown fish and harassed one to death. I then tried to catch them 5 in all. That was an impossible feat what with 135lbs of live rock in the tank. I ended up actually buying a fish trap that worked like a charm. They finally ended up at the lfs .......If one was to add them I would make sure that they are the very last things added to the tank. They are just as territorial as damsels just not quite as mean. I think they look good though.......

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I bought it through Premium Aquatics for about $25

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...D&Product_Code=NO-64220&Category_Code=Fishnet

It is a largish acrylic box with a swing door on it that swivels shut. There is a piece of fishing line that you wait and when the fish swims into the box as they are bound to do you tug the door closed behind them and watch them go nuts. I caught all 5 chromis within about an hour. I didn't have any snails or hermits go into the box as I caught them all pretty quickly.

Feb 28, 2005
Houston, TX
www.myspace.com
hmmm. i know damsels are territorial, but for some reason, mine aren't. i have two yellow-tailed damsels, a 4-stripe damsel, and a domino damsel living in a 30 gallon tank. i bought them to cycle my tank when i first set it up over a year ago, but i didn't want to just take them back to the lfs. i kept them and they are getting along fine. i am waiting for them to die (mean, i know) so i can get some awesome fish instead. anyone know the life span of those little buggers???

sorry about your fish loss, lorna. sorry your chromis were so mean also.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Water clarity is starting to look pretty good. So far everythings looking good.

I have some test strips so I thought I would test the water. The strips say my nitrate is 40ppm and nitrite is .5ppm. Should I really go by them? I'm going to to a 10% water change tomorrow when I get home from work.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
How did you cycle your tank? I don't know if dropping cured live rock into new water instantly creates a cycled tank. I wouldn't have thought it does, and if it doesn't then the damsels are starting the cycling process for you. If that's the case then those readings would be expected (though I don't think test strips are the most reliable method of testing - I dunno).

Sorry I can't help more. I would just give it time and keep testing till you're back to zero.

Looks good now the cloudiness has lifted btw.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
The fixture is from home depot and was about 20 or so. It was painted black to look better with the tank. I put in a actinic bulb and a regular full spectrum bulb. 40 watts each which were about 15 bucks each.

New readings:
PH 8 to 8.3
KH - 16 drops, 8 degrees I think
NO2 - <.3
NH3/NH4 - 0, possibly .1 or less.

I was trying to get a reading on CO2, how do I do that? I didn't understand the chart thinger?

Last edited: