Finally pulled the trigger....

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
It has been a while since I updated but there was not a whole lot going on while I was cycling. I have held the parameter below stable for about 2 weeks:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10 (depending on when the WC was)
Phosphate 0
pH 8.3
Salinity 1.024
Temp 78-80 (New heater coming Monday. Actually, 2 200 watt. These will
hopefully stabilize the temp at about 79-80).

So I figured it was time for the clean up crew. These guys came yesterday from E-Tropicals. I got the following:
-10 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits
-8 Scarlet Reef Hermits
-2 Orange Marked Hermits
-15 each Turbo, Cerith, and Nassarius Snails
-5 Peppermint Shrimp

When they arrived yesterday the temp in the bags was 60.8F. I floated them for an hour and drip acclimated them for 3 hours. Only losses so far were 2 of the peppermint shrimp. Everything else seems to be doing OK.

Here are some updated pics:

Sorry about the dirty glass. Didn't notice it until I looked at the picture!

Any suggestions on what I should be supplementing their diet with? I know sheets of seaweed and occasionally some type of meaty food, but what else do you all use if anything?

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
Hmmmm. Well, I don't really have a good answer for "Why Peppermints" except that they guy I spoke with at Drs. Foster and Smith recommended them. The research I did showed them to be good scavengers.

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
Well, the clean up crew has been in the tank a couple of weeks doing their thing. I finally added some lights (used 4X96) that should work for a while until move onto MH lighting. I think I am ready to add a Clown or two. My parameters are as follows:

Temp - 80F
Salinity - 1.024
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10 (can't seem to get any lower???)
Phosphate - 0
Copper - 0
Calcium - 260
Alkalinity (KH) - 179 ppm (dKH 10)

I know I will need to raise my Calcium when I get corals. Is the KH too low? What is recommended? Does everything else check out OK?

Anyway, here are some updated pics.

I am starting to get some algae on the back glass. Is this normal? Is it because of high Nitrates?

If I feel everything is OK next week, I will probably add 1 or 2 Tomato Clowns. Are these a good choice to start? I have to have some type of Clowns as it was part of the deal with my wife when I got the tank..........

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the brown algea is normal for a tank this young.... after you add new lights alot of times youll get an algea bloom aswell..... as far as adding a fish it looks like your about ready*thumbsups ...have you planned out exactly what fish besides the clowns you wanted to put in there???

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I am planning just a few fish. I was going to start with some clowns and them some Blenny's, but haven't thought much beyond that. I need to do more research on the fish. Maybe a Foxface? I like those but need to research. I have been so consumed with setting up the tank and getting good water quality that I just have not gotten there yet.

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
My sump pump is a Mag Drive 1200 @ 1200gph. With a head of about 4 feet it is pumping out about 1000gph. I have 2 Odyssea powderheads @ 250gph, one on the left side of the tank and one on the right. Finally I have a smaller powerhead pushing water behind the live rock. I do not know what brand, but it runs @ 170 gph. That would put it at about 25X flow per hour.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Most advice I've read is to put the least aggressive fish in first, and the most aggressive in last (for territory purposes). Clowns are on the aggressive end of peaceful fish, so you might want to get a better idea of other fish you want before you get the clowns.