Fire fish concern

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The problem with automatic feeders is that they tend to overfeed. Those two small fish don't eat much. Just a dip of a wet finger almost. Overfeeding is one of the biggest things in contributing to high nitrates......
I have a couple seio 820's on my 75 and they provide a really good flow. That is the beauty of the seio's they give the flow out over a wide pattern and not a concentrated stream so most people don't think they put out that much water but they do, when you put the food in watch where it floats to....make sure it doesn't settle in one particular spot as that would be a dead spot.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I have it set to feed twice a day and I have just a about 4 or 5 flakes and maybe a bloodworm or two going in each time and it puts the food in the tank over a 2 hour period. How many flakes and worms should I add if I'm adding twice a day? I have 4 poweheads now and I wonder what the best way would be to arrange them. Here is a not so good image of my setup. I think some things are settling on the right side of the tank, but thats where the shrimp made his home. He doesn't leave that area. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Maybe I should have the stronger jets where the two penguin powerheads are??

Attachments

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Try pointing the two powerheads on the ends (the seio and the maxijet) toward the front center, that combined with the penguins should create a mixed up water flow.......that is what you are striving for if you don't have a wavemaker

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
You should try side mounting it if you havent allready, the option that makes it look like a canon, the bottom part with the chute thing slides right off. Thats the most effective way it seems, I have a 620 in my 55 mounted like that and it does a great job keeping water moving.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
What do you mean a cannon type? does anyone have a pic or a url for doing the mod as I have two 820's I would try. I bought the new magnets from Premium aquatics that you attach a magnet to the back of the seio and one magnet on the outside for mounting....those magnets are so strong they would hold up a mag drive pump I am sure