First casualty of the year - :-(

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
After 3 years of bad behaviour I found my coral banded shrimp in bits and pieces a day or so ago..... he was full size when I got him, so I assume old age rather than two much combat.

Good news, new tank ordered 1.3metre * 90cms base, 60 cms water depth....

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
sorry about the loss wayne, it is always good though when they die of old age rather than a hobbyist error. My cleaner shrimp did the same thing, they lived for almost 3 years, which is the top end of their life span. Congrats on the new tank as well

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
wow still sounds great......either way.....

Wayne sorry to hear about your shrimp......it that is the only loss you've had kudos your way. That is the way fish/coral husbandry should be done. Little loss, stable params.......good solid results.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I almost thought I lost a crab today. I did my normal morning check and I noticed my emerald crab was belly up. So I scoped him out then about an hour later I seen him under a rock. For some reason I didn't think about those crab molting. The molt looks so life like I just assumed. Luckily I have had pretty good results lately aside from one firefish getting beat up.

Sorry to hear about your shrimp wayne. I would say the good news would out weigh the bad.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have 2 tanks. I have a main display, and an 'experimental'. The new tank will hold about 180 gallons , so is quite a nice size. Yes, it's a custom shape, with lots of potential for 'lookdown', but with one ong wall acting as an inwall. It is the exact opposite to a tall tank.
I have most of the kit either in use now, or sitting in boxes. It's going to mostly be Tunze kit for water movement, with a Schuran protein skimmer and an algal refugium/sump, with a big Tunze return pump. Lighting will be MH - by smart aquascaping over the square base area you can (I hope) get away with 2 rather than 4 MH pendants. At this point, without extra LR, I'm still under my 20000 NOK (<3000 USD) budget for everything except livestock. Stand is home made from concrete blocks + marine ply.
Stock will be bad tasting corals like toxic gorgonians, and a variety of semi reefsafe fish- things like my toby, some semi reefsafe butterflies and a navarchus angel, plus some Centropyge.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Sounds great. Are you in Norway? I see you quoted NOK......just curious. Is it harder to get stuff there and what are the price comparisons? I would appreciate some pics of your tanks sometime.......they sound wonderful

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Norway is very, very expensive... I tihnk Oslo is the most expensive place in the world to live. however I get a lot of stuff from Germany, and use the adage 'buy once, buy right' , so I don't waste a lot of money.
In terms of livestock, the advantage I have is locally we get fish and inverts (fresh and salt) from source, meaning indonesia, s america, rather than thro' a wholesaler. It means a store here has a far larger 'selection, range' than a US store that orders thro' a wholesaler, and will usually have a limited list. It does mean what they have at any time is total potluck tho, so most everything I get is a special order. Also, for example, they might have 10 different apistogramma for sale, then none for the next 6 months as there are no more deliveries form Columbia, peru for a while. There is normally only one Red Sea delivery every 6 months to a year.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Do you then put in a special order? I would think that the survival rate would be higher as there is less time in transport and holding in various wholesale tanks etc. and an especially essential quarantine period to ensure that you have the animal eating captive food well etc. sounds good though and yes I do try to go by the "buy once buy it right" myself......though if that were true Iwould have started with a 120 or 180.......

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes, I usually order. The survival rate depends on the fish, as all the fish come from indo or Singapore or wherever , whether they'e special ordered or not. The long shipping time , but direct supply means stuff like anthias are painfully cheap, but also sometimes have horrendous attrition rates, though that seems to be less of a problem now. I itnhk if you get stuff thro' a wholesaler like most US shops you're shielded from the reality of getting an arrival that's been delayed a day and finding al ot of anthia casualties. That's one of the reasons I've stopped trying to keep anthias.
Buy once, buy right is so good. I can't believe how much money some people have spent on their tanks, mostly swapping this widget for that, or horsing around with little bits of lighting. If I hadn't gotten a custom tank I'd be at 10 dollars a gallon, living here!

Jul 29, 2012
texas
hi sorry to bug ya'll i am new to this site and i recently started a aquarium i haven't had one in years so i back to being new to it i have a brackish 20 or 25 gallon tank i started off pretty bad chemicals got messed up so when i found out i changed the water and started over i recently got a fiddler crab he been doing well for the few days i had him i read up on how they need land which walmart didn't care to mention all the details on this animal and his required maintenance my husband and i are pretty much wrapped his claw and well this morning i found him belled up in a corner and quite frankly i am terrified if he passed away could i have gotten him to late from the walmart freshwater aquarium or what else might make my friend go belly up with no sign of molting help any advice i could use

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Have your read about or do you know about the cycle of the tank: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...hless-cycling-everything-you-wanted-know.html .
This is likely why he died if it was a new tank. Also, with so few fish compared to full salt water why not go that route? I did brackish first as well due to the cost of the live rock. I saved up for a for a bit and finally had enough for ten pounds of live rock for my 10G tank. Then, after getting is swapped I was saving again for fish and I started watching the live rock seemingly start growing and making new creatures. I was hooked from then on LOL. My Name is Kerry and I am a saltwater addict.
Welcome to the forum!! We are glad to have you.