first fish

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
ok so before much longer its going to be time to get my first fish...and im wondering what some good 1st fish are...im going to have to order offline because the closest fish store that sells saltwater fish is 5 hours away.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The ideal thing to do is to decide your entire stocking before you get the first fish, then add in order, with the shyest/least territorial fish first.

Good first fish include most tank-bred fish, gobies, clowns, chromis.

I'm assuming you've already added your cleanup crew. If not, start with the snails and crabs, etc. eTropicals.com has a nice build-your-own package where you get free shipping if you spend over $60. If yours is a nano tank, that probably won't be practical.

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
the clean up crew is in process right now i have 13 blue legged hermits in there and i plan on getin some snails this week...my tank is a 55 gallon tank...me and my girlfriend have been looking and trying to decide on what we want...the one thing we know for sure is a pair of clowns...about how many fish could we have total when were done...we will have to look and come up with a better list and then ill post it.

Nov 17, 2006
Hazleton,Pa
The first fish i had were two dansels. Dansels are aggressieve fish from what i heard. Mine really never faught. Now i have 1 dansel 1 clown a pistol shrimp and also a big turbo shrimp.They get along great.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Is this a reef tank or a fish only? In a reef tank you wouldn't be able to have as many fish, since the water needs to be more pristine to keep corals than just to have fish and cleaners.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Don't even think of damsels. They are aggressive and will bully anything you add to the tank with them. The reason juggernaut isn't having any problem is he hasn't added anything but damsels. Clownfish are members of the damsel family and can be aggressive so you should add them last.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I'm not real positive on the stocking. I had 6 small fish in a 45g with no problem (2 were very small). I think probably 7-8 small fish would work fine, maybe more if they were very small. Maybe 4-5 medium/small fish? Again, I'm not sure.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The clowns shouldn't be added first as they can be a little aggressive. If you are adding things like gobies/blennies/firefish or cardinals they should be added before the clowns.

Some nice choices are wrasses, gobies, blennys, cardinals, dwarf angels all will co-exist nicely in a community tank

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
me and the girlfriend are going to come up with a list of fish we like tonight as soon as we get it done ill post it on here, to make sure they can all live together and wich ones should be added first

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
ok so we came up with a list of the fish we like and would like to have...wich ones should we get first..can they all live together...is this too many?

spotted cardinalfish

bicolor pseudochromis

green clown goby

purple firefish

yellow watchman goby

six line wrasse

ocellaris clown

black and white ocellaris clown

royal gramma basslet

longnose hawkfish

blue green reef chromis

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
comments:

spotted cardinalfish - great community fish that does well in pairs or groups. A great beginner fish

bicolor pseudochromis - mean little beggar, I would opt for the royal gramma instead they are almost identical with the royal gramma being the most amiable and better inhabitant in a community tank

green clown goby - great little fish, and I mean little. Docile and great personality. I have a citron goby and he is a a real character, not swimmers but perching fish....he perches on everything including the tank side.

purple firefish - another great choice for a community, somewhat shy and will hide until he is accustomed to his new surroundings. Easily bullied by other more aggressive fish. Would be constantly harrassed by a pseudochromis

yellow watchman goby - great little fish, should be paired with a pistol shrimp and they will pair up. Needs a good sandbed to burrow into with his shrimp. Will hide at first but will be come more open as he gets used to his surroundings.

six line wrasse - very active fish that will clean out your pod population and can be known to harass newcomers. I would rather have a pygmy angel than my 6 line. though they are very active swimmers in and out and everywhere

ocellaris clown - best in a pair provided you get both when very small and let them sort out who is going to be the female ...... characters and funny to watch. Do not need an anemone and would suggest that you DON"T get an anemone they don't need it. They will host anything.

black and white ocellaris clown - get either the above or these but not both types. one pair of the same species only per tank

royal gramma basslet - shy at first, great community fish.....pick this over the pseudochromis......

longnose hawkfish - not safe with inverts....will eat anything it can fit into it's mouth and that mouth is deceptive.....not reef safe,

blue green reef chromis - nice in groups of 3 or more odd number. active swimmers, add last as these are members of the damsel family and can be aggressive to newcomers so.......if adding them wait and add them after the clowns last.....

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
ok so we will scratch the bicolor pseudochromis and hawkfish off our list....what order should the others be added in...and i just want to make sure this is not over stocking for a 55 gal tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I would add the clownfish and the six line last I would decide between the pj cardinals and the blue/green chromis as both should be in groups of 3 or more. The gobie, purple firefish, royal gramma and watchman gobie can be added first as they are all pretty docile.

here is what I would do

firefish
green gobie
watchman gobie
royal gramma

I would add these all at the same time.....and watch for any spike in ammonia and be prepared to do a water change if it registers.....

wait a week or so then buy

pair clowns (either ocellaris or perculas, preferably percs, and tank bred if possible as they are more hardy and less likely to have brooklynella)

These should go into a quarantine for 4 weeks, then can be added to the display

then a pair of pj cardinals that have been in quarantine for 4 weeks.

With these fish you will be maxed out for fish......

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
a 55g is really too small for a foxface or any tang for that matter, they like to have long linear swimming space. I have one in my 75 and think he is too big for it.

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
i agree i like a foxface and tangs but thought my tank was too small for them thats why i passed them up on my stocking list