First Tank Purchase

jen0910

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Savoy, MA/Western PA
Well, pretty much anything will attack fry (the parents eat them most of the time) That is a reason to watch out for them though or to say that they are aggressive. With adult fish they wount cause a problem. I have had ghost shrimp for a while and I have witnessed fish taking food right out of their poor defenseless little hands and the shrimp do nothing about it, because they can't. If you put them in a semi-aggressive tank they probably wouldn't make it for long.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'd like to also mention that people should not give uninformed advice about animals... bad information travels quickly. (ghost shrimp)
I'm guessing that this is referring to me, but I have read information from respected people on this forum saying that ghost shrimp can be predatory and aggressive.

I've seen my ghost shrimp jump from plants onto moving fish in tackle mode! They can be predatory and nippy.
Ghost shrimp are fairly predatory. I've even seen one wrestle a bala shark for a bloodworm.
I'm just trying to give the best information possible and from what I have read they can be aggressive towards other fish and assuming that the ghosts shrimp and african dwarf frog will both be occupying the same space I would imagine it could cause some aggression and fighting.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Well, this thread continues to spiral out of control.

Not only do ghost shrimp lack the mouth to "attack" fish, but something behaving as a predator does not indicate that they will be dangerous for life in the tank.

Edit: And no, alter, the comment wasn't directed specifically at you.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Ok ok ok guys, look...this isnt the place to argue. Were trying to help someone here. Yes, we have a difference of opinion. I think alter and I both felt like that was a direct shot at us, since we both posted about the ghost shrimp having aggressive tendancys. So, lets just chalk this up to difference of opinion

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Edit: And no, alter, the comment wasn't directed specifically at you.
*twirlysmi I'm glad it wasn't directed at me and maybe I took it the wrong way. I'm going to just stay out of this and let others who do have more experience then I do answer this.

Sorry if I took your post the wrong way. *PEACE!*

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Well, just to throw in my $0.02, may I suggest that this question about ghost shrimp may be complicated by the fact that not everyone is clear on what is meant by ghost shrimp? As described in this article, 'ghost shrimp' is something of a generic term and that people sometimes mistakenly refer to other species as "ghost shrimp". My two ghost shrimp are very peaceful and pretty much exhibit the behavior described in the article I referenced (including the swimming upside down to get flake food from the surface -- that's pretty cute!). They do try to grab food and run away with it to prevent others from taking it. But, sometimes, if a fish gets there at about the same time and goes for it, the shrimp will release the food and scurry off without a fight.

I just have one question ,lol, A ghost shrimp wrestle a bala shark?! That had to be one angry shrimp!
Hey, sometimes the little guys have a surprisingly big temper!!! :)

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Well, I know there are several kinds of shrimp that go by the "ghost shrimp" label. I've personally had some that have literally leaped off of plants and logs at larger fish and tried to tackle them! They didn't succeed of course, the fish are too strong and large to be taken down by a tiny shrimp, but it happened nonetheless, and I promise I wasn't starving them! They will not be able to take down a healthy fish, but if something is sick, they will be the first ones on the scene, especially if you have large groups of them.

As far as frogs, I've never personally kept them, but I hear they are hard to feed. They will be especially hard to care for in a 29gallon tank.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
I think this all comes down to a few things:

- this discussion got way out of hand
- d3, you shouldn't speak so authoritatively about subjects you admittedly know little or nothing about. Even MissFishy is sitting here saying they can't do anything.

The FACT remains that a ghost shrimp is not going to attack an ADF or any other fish in the tank and do anything more than tickle the fish, frog, or invertebrate.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Hey something I actually know about..from both experience and reading I can tell you that a dwarf frog will eat anything that it can catch and get in its mouth. I have no knowledge of ghost shrimp but I have seen surprisingly little frogs eat 2 1 to 2 inch feeder (won by my daughters at a carnival) goldfish. Frogs ARE predators and will most likely require live food to be successful. But as with anything they do have there own personalities.
There is a good website with plenty of links for herptological related articles and topics... kingsnake.com - the information portal for reptile and amphibian hobbyists. there are many related articles under the forums tab it is kinda hard to navigate if your not used to it so be patient. link below is one forum topic on these frogs.
Kingsnake.com - Herpforum - RE: African Dwarf Frogs and Simease Fighting

kaneda33

Small Fish
Jan 15, 2008
Are those hostile frogs African Dwarf Frogs or African Clawed Frogs? From reading that post it seems as if the poster bought clawed frogs that were mistakenly labeled dwarf frogs and they tore up his tank.

What I'd like to accomplish is to create an aquarium with a lot of different "types" of life in it, i.e. frogs, invertebrates and fish. I don't know how possible this is, but I feel like this type of aquarium would be the most fun for me to own.

Does anyone have any recommended, inexpensive furniture they bought for there setup? I was looking at some Ikea pieces and I couldn't find anything that appeared suitable other than some coffee tables; but I don't believe those would hold the tank high enough.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
The African clawed frogs are hostile and not meant for community tanks as far as I know, my LFS has a coding system and they're labled red (careful when mixing).

The dwarf frogs are harmless in my opinion. I"ve never mixed them with shrimp but they get on fine with fish that are bigger then they are. I'm about to put some in with some pygmycories and enders in the next couple weeks so I'll let you know if I have any issues.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I do stand corrected the ones that my experience with was an African CLAWED frog, he was only about 1in long at the time purchased as a dwarf from wally world. I was pretty involved in the herpotology hobbie for about 20 yrs, I actually had a reptile/amphibian room in my house (my wife loved that..lol) ,before other commitments ended it. The most common problem (in my experience) is that most local petstores dont specialize in reptiles and amphibians (and as with fish see them as expendable) so they often dont know for sure what they have and commonly give misinformation. I would suggest if you decide to buy I would recommend searching that website under the dealers links at the bottom of the home page, find a reputable dealer on there and buy from them. I bought many reptiles/amphibians thru mail order and only had one issue, and they made it right quickly. But as with anything there are always different opinions on dealers. Just make sure you get what you want so you dont end up like that guy on that particular forum. found this link also that may help you get the right frog.
Clawed Frogs and Dwarf Frogs

Last edited: