Fish Abuse?

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
So I'm planning on giving as a holiday gift, a Betta, with at least a 2.5g full tank with filter and all, to a friend who is 31 and never owned a pet in his life. He's looking forward to this.

When I was looking for the right Betta at a reputable local-chain store, I was very surprised to find out that they keep their Bettas in a drawer; in the little plastic bags they come shipped to the store in. Now when I say little, I mean like three inches square, completely sealed, with AT MOST a half cup of water. The girl working the fish area said they can keep the Bettas in the bags for up to a month!!! She showed me the drawer, which had about 20 little bags mounded and stacked on each other.

Is this some kind of fish abuse? How can they live in that little bag for a month?

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
That is one of the most wretched things I've ever heard :-(

I'm not 100%, but it's a pretty darned good friggin' bet that they can not go like that for a month. That's horrible. If they can, they must be near death by the end of that month and going through hell. Jesus, why can't people understand that there's a big difference between 'they can' and 'they could but it's torture for them'????????????????????

I highly doubt that is legal, you'll find in order to have a licence to keep animals, there MUST be some sort of "code of conduct" saying they ARE NOT ALLOWED TO KEEP THEIR ANIMALS IN SUCH CONDITIONS. And that's what fish are - ANIMALS, just like dogs, cats, and hammies, theres not difference, but unfortunately people tend to think of them as only decorations... or THINGS.

I'd definitely put in a complaint, hell, do something. :) Good luck

Sep 16, 2005
wow... and i thought i was witnessing deplorable conditions at chain pet stores......:eek:

definitely raise a stink. you can get the little guys out of those tiny bags, and maybe get yourself a sweet store discount in the process(that is, if you're ever willing to set foot inside there again).

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
That's awful.
Betas DEFINITELY get the short end of the stick. Whether it be stuck in bags or beta bowls (especially when the fish store puts food colouring into the water to make them look 'more attractive'. I've flown off the handle a couple of times on stores doing that...

They should have to provide small tanks for betas with proper filtration. That 'wall of betas' thing is awful and it makes my blood boil every time I see it. I always want to shove the store owner in one of those food coloring filled bowls and see how he likes it. :mad:

... And trust me, when you're 6'7 and 300lbs... That's a whole lot of angry-man-in-a-pet-store. I'm hard to ignore. :)

Thankfully, I only deal with Big Al's in my home town, and they treat their betas with respect.

Sep 8, 2005
Its pretty disgusting. Common sense should prevail that nothing can live long in a baggy in a drawer. I am only 5'2" but my mouth is 6'7". I can't count the times my husband has dragged me out of a store before security could get their hands on me. Inhumane...they should be shut down.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Ok lets set something straight here. I work at a reputable LFS (NOT a chain) and bettas are shipped to us in those little plastic bags. For shipping thats ok but I dont see how it would last a month in there, how would it be fed and ammonia would be off the scale, thus leading to pretty disgusting living conditions. When we get them in we put them in bowls.I know alot of you hate this but you know what bettas dont move a whole lot and its temporary; even bettas we have on display in bigger filtered acryllic tanks on the counter dont move around and use the space.

And the "food coloring" is actually a declorinator/oxygenator to help keep the water suitable for the fish. Its like conditioner.

Remember people... its temporary and at my store at least we change the water often and feed them regularly, so dont judge unless you really know whats the whole story. If thats not the case then it is abuse. But leaving them in bags is really bad...

Last edited:

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
noticing other things

I was in the store again today, looked in the drawer and they were still there. There were more in the drawer, than on display. In the drawer was a hand-written sign that said "do not put any more betta in jars until Monday 1/2 unless all have been sold"

This store is only a mini-chain in my city--there are like six or seven stores, but all in the Metro area

Last edited:

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Call the ASPCA and see what they have to say about it. At the very least file a complaint. Really people we can all come on here and complain until we are blue in the face. It does no good. The only thing that will make them change is for the yrly amount of fines and penalties out weigh the costs of keeping fish in proper conditions.

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
I haven't bought any fish from this store, but I've bought plenty of cat and dog and aquarium supply items. I'm loyal to another store for the fish. I'll check with my local ASPCA to see if they have violated anything.

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
OMG!:mad: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The pet store is suppose to put the Bettas in holding cups once they get them in. I don't like the idea of keeping fish in cups but at least it is stable enough for the fish and the cups get cleaned, but a tiny bag?? That is just terribly inhumane! Please talk to the manager and tell him you won't buy anything from them again till that is changed.

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
Pure said:
At least they are shipping them in water these days. Wasn't too long ago they simply laid them between wet paper towels.
THATS EVEN MORE INSANE!!!

hmmmmm i dont like the sound of this...
all i have to say is AWWWWWW and THOSE BASTARDS THAT KEEP THEM LIKE THAT SHOULD BE SHOT IM AFRAID TO SAY!!!