Fish recommendations for 120g community

namukoby

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2005
FroggyFox said:
YES namukoby you're right when you say that another filter will just have more bacteria or that it will "rise to the occasion". The only time a filter WONT work for your tank is if you try to make it do something its not designed for (like a normal UGF in a tank with a sand substrate, or a HOB filter rated for a 5G tank on a 55G tank) Which is why reading up on the different types and sizes of filters is a good thing.
Thank-you for the info, and the support. You have been very helpful. I like what you said several posts ago about angels being more like 8-10 inches of fish. I'd been trying to find a number like that for a while - but all of the articles I read only said that taller fish needed more than the recommended amount of space.

I hope I didn't cause any problems with all of my questions. I feel it is important to be informed, and to understand my options. I actually have done lots of reading, and from what I've seen, there are many viable options for filters - some very versatile, others much better suited to a single purpose. I also believe that reading literature put out by manufacturers only partly answers many questions. That is why I appreciate hearing from those with experience. My husband says I ask too many questions. :) He's probably right. ;-)

On another note, the Magnum 350 convertible canister we have does not really work. It runs, but there is only a trickle of water coming out. I may be wrong, but a filter rated at 350 gallons per hour should pump water better than that.

In all of the discussion about filters, I'm still wondering if we need more filtration. The XP3 says it is for tanks up to 175g - we are well under that, and if we keep the tank lightly stocked, do regular H2O changes, and clean the filter often, I'm not sure I understand the need for more. Unless it is for back-up purposes, in case something happens to the first.

foty89 said:
Well, sort of. You see, the bacteria are in a sense healthier, but the real reason that it works better is that there is all the surface area for them to colonize and use. So they can grow and reproduce better, so there are simply many times more of them than in a standard filter.

Again, canister filters are great for removing particulate matter, however the bio-wheel is the best for removing biological mater. So the ideal setup would be canister filters and bio-wheels.

Marineland makes a Hot Magnum that is this, however it is not very well reviewed by users. I would see if the second canister you have works, if so I would get the bio-wheel attachments for both and you will have no problems at all with filtration.

Thank-you for your patience and willingness to share your expertise with me. That is why I felt this would be a good forum to post on - it's not just a bunch of beginners fumbling around trying to answer each other's questions, like many I've seen.

I'm not convinced I need a biowheel, although it is worth looking into further. I am, however, more convinced that the Filstar is a good filter. If you are right that it is the amount of surface area for the bacteria to grow on, then we made the right choice by adding an excess amount (almost triple the recommended amount) of 'bio-chem stars' in the filter. I am still not convinced that more surface area = more bacteria, however. (Aren't you still limited by the amount of 'food' available to the bacteria?)

foty89

Medium Fish
Mar 1, 2005
Binghamton, New York
namukoby said:
I'm not convinced I need a biowheel, although it is worth looking into further. I am, however, more convinced that the Filstar is a good filter. If you are right that it is the amount of surface area for the bacteria to grow on, then we made the right choice by adding an excess amount (almost triple the recommended amount) of 'bio-chem stars' in the filter. I am still not convinced that more surface area = more bacteria, however. (Aren't you still limited by the amount of 'food' available to the bacteria?)
Yes, that is how it works, they need food to develop. It is just that the surface area being so large on a bio-wheel combined with the rotation from wet to dry allows them to grow a lot faster and have higher numbers, food permitting.

The XP3 is a good filter, and as long as you keep your tank stocked within reason, it should likely be enough. I like many others here, tend to lean towards using more equipment than "necessary" for everything. Hence why I am using two Emperor 400, each of which is rated at 400 GPM. Also why I am using two 300 watt heaters.

Good luck with your tank and your are right that this is a nice forum to post on due to the wide range of experience levels and varied opinions here.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
namukoby said:
Thank-you for the info, and the support. You have been very helpful. I like what you said several posts ago about angels being more like 8-10 inches of fish. I'd been trying to find a number like that for a while - but all of the articles I read only said that taller fish needed more than the recommended amount of space.

I hope I didn't cause any problems with all of my questions. I feel it is important to be informed, and to understand my options. I actually have done lots of reading, and from what I've seen, there are many viable options for filters - some very versatile, others much better suited to a single purpose. I also believe that reading literature put out by manufacturers only partly answers many questions. That is why I appreciate hearing from those with experience. My husband says I ask too many questions. :) He's probably right. ;-)
Hey...there's no such thing as asking too many questions!! I value the people on this forum being able to share different viewpoints from their different experiences. I think what we all need to keep in mind is that everyone's word around here is their opinion and their experience...and should always be taken with a grain of sand. Doing your own research outside the board is a wonderful step to finding more information and "sharing the wealth".

As far as that 8-10 inch thing with the angels...I think the biggest measurement I've ever heard an angel getting is like 8 inches tall (incl its fins etc)...and I know some of them can get territorial so giving them some extra "space" makes sense to me. I didn't read it anywhere, I just made it up...really its one of those artistic things rather than scientific. Just like it doesn't make sense to put a 10 inch fish into a 10G tank, but you can put 10 inches of fish in a 10G tank...so people usually edit it to say something like "in tanks under 20 gallons you should aim for 20 inches of fish, but only fish that stay under 4 inches long. Or something like that :) Its very subjective...but a good rule to keep in mind when trying to plan a tank. The bigger the tank the more leeway you have with sizes of fish and amount of fish, depending on your regular maintenance and that you have adequete filtration (not to kick that horse again haha)

I really ought to stop talking in your thread though and let some other people get in here with their thoughts. ;)

Mar 8, 2005
Savannah
Good grief Froggy! Taking up this whole thread! :p :rolleyes: I just picked up a biowheel for my 30 gal. It's great, better then my ol' normal powerfilter, so far. I've heard of problems w/ the wheel getting stuck though, so if you get one watch for that. But the biowheel concept seems to be a very good idea. I'll see how well it seems to work. The noise issue that I seem to have is w/ the amount of flow it is producing. It's huge and the little ending shoot sends it skimming across my water surface. Good for current but bad w/ plants. I've reduced this by placing a sponge to catch the water (the plexiglass just shot it down into the tank, still to much surface disturbing for me). In addition to foty89's comment they biowheel helps w/ bacteria by exposing it to oxygen more (helps grow the bacteria) by the rotation of the wheel around. If this stops then the wheel is bascially like a normal power filter w/ a small sponge for growth.
But namukoby this setup looks good to me, I would be careful w/ so many angels though, the larger/older they get the more territorial they are. Probably 5 would be a good # IMO. And I would do like 4-5 corries and 5-6 ottos. That's just me. Good luck and post some pics!! *thumbsups

namukoby

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2005
culinaryartcook said:
But the biowheel concept seems to be a very good idea. I'll see how well it seems to work. The noise issue that I seem to have is w/ the amount of flow it is producing. It's huge and the little ending shoot sends it skimming across my water surface.

But namukoby this setup looks good to me, I would be careful w/ so many angels though, the larger/older they get the more territorial they are. Probably 5 would be a good # IMO. And I would do like 4-5 corries and 5-6 ottos. That's just me. Good luck and post some pics!! *thumbsups
I do agree that the biowheel seems like an interesting concept. we'll definitely look into it if we find we should have a second filter. I am concerned about the noise, though. The aquarium is in our living room, which we use for reading/quiet time and visiting when we have people over. It also has the piano in it - so if there is too much noise, we'll have a tough time hearing ourselves play, or talk.

I was wondering the same thing about the angels - I've read the same thing, although most places said that the aggression is less in smaller groups. They said nothing about what happens, though , if we end up with several pairs who decide to breed. Apparently, they get very territorial then.

I do have some pictures on my palm, and for whatever reason, it won't hotsinc for me. The palm is the only digital camera I have, so it may be a while til I get pictures posted. I'll keep trying, though!

Mar 8, 2005
Savannah
I wouldn't say it's too loud to hold a conversation (not niagra) but mine's in my bedroom and it can make it hard to sleep. If you've got a 120 though a nice wet/dry and/or a good canister will be plenty adequate. Like I said try a sponge for the biowheel if you ever get one, and it definately cuts down on the noise.