Fishdad's Reef Setup

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I believe its the water leaving the center chamber (in the back) and entering the two side chambers w/ the inlets to the stacks. Sounds like a toilet flushing. Not exactly an ambient waterfall feature that is soothing to listen to.

Sorry guys I'm trying to post pictures but the uploader is completely unresponsive. The basic uploader isn't working either.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Let me start by saying I have absolutely no experience with those overflows. Mine is a through-the-back overflow from glass-holes. So I'm not sure this would work for the HOB ones or if it would interfere with it in any way (my little disclaimer).

That being said, mine was super noisy at first - the water pouring into it and then down the drain. The company that made the overflow recommends this enkamat stuff: Enkamat - you can buy it by the inch at that site as well.

It is basically a super open weave of nylon. What it does in the overflow is greatly reduce that splashing and flowing noise. The weave is open enough that it doesn't impede water flow (unless you never clean the stuff and it gets super nasty). If your overflow is clear, you could probably do some just as a layer on the bottom, so that it is kinda cushioning the water flowing down - I would be afraid if the box is clear, then the enkamat would be a great media to grow algae on and would clog for sure if the box was stuffed with it, but an algae covered layer at the bottom of the box shouldn't hurt anything. If the box doesn't get light in it, you can stuff a bunch in the overflow as the water just flows through it anyways and it can't grow algae in the dark (this is what I did).

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i get why you are having trouble with the uploader. it no longer works. you have to use the add image feature up at the top in the list of icons. that's where you normally type in an url of your image and it posts. well now the attachment feature is included in that image icon. give that a try.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Thanks Caps. I'm going to spend some time experimenting with nylon an other things to buffer the sound. The key is not restricting waterflow. You know I called this frickin' store that sold me the overflow and politely asked if they had any recommendations to silence these things and they just said "no". Gee I just spent $600 with these guys, you think they might try a little harder than that. Anyway I am on the 24 hour mark of equipment running and all is well. I was pleased to find that my house was not flooded when I got home from work. Its a bit nerve racking, especially when I do a power failure test. Sump goes up and DT goes down, but the sump holds all the overflow. I drilled a hole in the return pvc just below DT water level to cut off the syphon much sooner in the event of power failure.

Newman thanks, it started working. So here is the setup, sorry for the quality. Its a blackberry.

Cleveland-20130929-00068.jpg Cleveland-20130929-00069.jpg Cleveland-20130929-00070.jpg

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Well I do have three versa top lids that I was using with it as a freshwater set up. But based on what I read, lids are not recommended for reefs because they diminish the lighting benefits. Also I've been told that they get pretty nasty with a salt set up. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Feb 27, 2009
I had custom cut glass (from a home improvement store) on my reefs. Yes, salt does build up on them with splash, but I rinsed them in vinegar water when I did water changes, so that keeps the build up from being a problem.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I had custom cut glass (from a home improvement store) on my reefs. Yes, salt does build up on them with splash, but I rinsed them in vinegar water when I did water changes, so that keeps the build up from being a problem.
Are you recommending custom cut glass over versa top lids or others? Just curious, why custom?

Overflow noise update. The eshopps OF box came with two "extra" filter sponges that looked like they fit inside the u tubes. I did not use them as I saw no purpose and no directions were included with this $170 piece of ... plastic. So, inspired by caps' nylon idea I frickin jammed them into the inlets that pour into the stack, where the flushing noise was coming from. It worked. Its quiet. And no flow change. The only hitch will be in the future as they collect debris. If they get clogged niagra will fall. They will just need to be rinsed with regular maintenance.

Feb 27, 2009
Are you recommending custom cut glass over versa top lids or others? Just curious, why custom?
I had glass that was cut to size that fit on the rims of the tanks. Several of my tanks were custom made and not 'standard' dimensions, so had to get the glass cut to the exact size I needed. I had several sheets made per tank so that I could spray them in my shower and let them drip-dry in there before putting them back on the tanks.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Looking good!

Glad cramming stuff in there worked on the noise.
Thanks again Caps.

Roger that, OC. What about an impact on the lighting assuming the glass is clean. I mention it because the light is already 6" above the tank and passes through a piece of plexi on the fixture. The add another layer of glass to pass through. Makes me nervous.

Feb 27, 2009
I agree with Newman. Plus, the glass will protect the plexi, which will get pitted and cloudy, no matter how much you clean it. I had removed the plexi from my first few fixtures and used the glass on the rim instead to protect the fixtures from salt spray and moisture. Later, I just made my own fixtures and mounted them to the underside of the canopies.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Alright on to the next issue... Live rock. Once the skimmer is set up the live rock will be the next (and last) addition before fish and coral. The LFS sells it for $10/lb. Yeah, thanks but no thanks.
I can get it on craigslist for $3/lb... much better but still will cots me at least $300 bucks to get the amount I need.

Here is my plan...

I found a source for "Tufa" rock that will cost me next to nothing. Has been used in a reef aquarium before. So I'm thinking I could use the tufa as base rock an seed it with good quality live rock. What say you?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
its a cheaper option but it's very unattractive in terms of rock. if that is what you can afford though, then i do not see a problem with using it as base rock. i probably wouldn't be able to afford that much live rock or even regular base rock either. then again i can' afford a 125gal lol!
just my opinion. it shouldn't cause problems.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Well, I'm no six figure salary earner, but I did ok on side jobs this year so I had a little extra cash on hand. Its just about gone now though. I should have never bought that 1 gallon tank for my son two years ago.

Anyway, good to know about the tufa rock. I've heard its not very attractive, but the way I see it, it will eventually be covered up by good live rock. Thanks Newman.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Alright. skimmer is running. Seems to be working ok, but the bubble that its producing don't seem fine enough. They're not that real smooth look that you want. I've tried adjustments and nothing seems to change. There is no salt in the water yet so I was wondering if that might have to do with it.