Fishy Emergency

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
There are two types of peacock cichlid.

One being the one from lake malawi, which requires a rift lake set-up (hard, alkaline water) which can really only house other rift lake cichlids and synodontis cats. The other is the peacock bass which grows huge and eats everything big enough to fit in its mouth.

Please google search this to clarify why one you have.

I also think it's more likely to be the bad water quality causing the wounds.. parrot cichlids have very odd-shaped mouths due to messed up genetics from hybridisation and can't really do any "biting".. As Newman said, plecos are scavengers rather tha active hunters and will generally only latch on to weak, ill and lethargic fish.

IceDragon

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for all the help guys. Even though i have lost all my fish im better informed to restocking it. The peacock ended up dieing last night. Now all i have left is the parrot and the pleco and as soon as i get a day off the are going to a pet store. I have an exotic fish store by me and they have huge plecos and huge parrots there. Im sure tthey will take these guys and give them proper accomidations. Then i'm going to leave the tank run for awhile and then have u guys help me restock. Thanks again for trying to help. I had a feeling it was a losing battle neways.

IceDragon

Small Fish
Jan 20, 2010
I thought it was better to let it completely cycle. I was going to tear it all down clean everything and change decorations. Then let the bacteria cycle to start again.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
if you're gonna do that then go ahead. I was just referring to the fact that you need to add daily drops of pure ammonia into the tank while it's fish-less, so don't forget that ;)

Sharkee

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2010
bacteria start alone won't get you anywhere. You need to feed that bacteria and that's where the ammonia comes in. The problem with your tank was that you had way too much ammonia and your ammonia-eating bacteria couldn't keep up. Real plants would also help in that regard.

As Newman said, look up Nitrogen Cycle. It'll save you from having so much frustration later.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
apparently Cycle works if it's refrigerated after opening...but still if the tank is fish-less and you're not adding ammonia, then w./e bacteria you add with the bottle will die on the next day w/o ammonia to feed on ;)