Flatworms....

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
well if they are bad how do i get rid of them? what is the easiest way because therir are alot of them! and also my shrimp has been hiding alot recently in the same spot could it be he is stuck somehow?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
The shrimp is probably not stuck, also Arrow crabs eat them, as well as bissle worms. I would recommend getting one of these for a while.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
there are a variety of medications...i know salifert makes a product to kill them...and a freshwater dip will also kill them, but there are undoubtably others in your gravel/rocks/etc so they will continue to spread, but it would at least control the population a little...but, i would look for a natural solution

on the shrimp, the peppermints generally find a little crevice or overhang to call home and hang there almost all of the time

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
flatworms tend to be parasitic, so yes, chances are they will munch on your coral...even if they dont, if they cover the corals they will not be able to photosynthesis = death

as far as natural consumers for a 5.5, there isn't much...in fact i can't think of anything off the top of my head which would be happy in that setup afterward other than bristleworms, and you can't usually buy those, they just happen...maybe you can get a rental from the lfs or something....sam might have an idea though which im not coming to

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I had a bad flatworm outbreak a few mths ago 1000's of them in my 40gal. I picked up two yellow corous(however it's splt) wrasses and within only a few weeks no more flatworm problem. No chemicals or fresh water dips needed! I was amazed at how quick and efficiant they worked; just make sure you don't feed the wrasse(s) very much maybe one small feed a day, that way they are hungry and will eat the flatworms. I have not seen a sign of them since. mandarins will eat them two but are a quite difficult fish to keep I've heard.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Sorry I thought the salt was 55gal. Well I believe I read you're thinking of changing your 55 gal to salt, if this is true then I don't think having 1 (baby) wrasse in the 5.5 for a month or two will matter. Buy the time your new tank has cycled, your new friend should have taken care of the flatworm problem in the 5.5. This way you do not have to worry about introducing the flatworms into the new tank. (just a thought) The other thing I could suggest; besides a freshwater dip or chems, is the "BLUE VELVET NUDIBRANCH". I've heard these guys will suck up flatworms like spaggettie. The only concern I would have with this option is proper deit for the nudibranch once the flatworms are gone.(and it wouldn't be long in a 5.5 for that to happen).