Fluval 405

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
How come Fluval 405 filters costs $170 at petco and petsmart. but the same filter is around $120 on ebay. The ones on ebay are fake? what is the story? I dont get it? Should I buy it from ebay becsuse I save $20-$30 or should I just buy from petco or petsmart? Any kind of advice would be great.:eek:

Jun 30, 2006
I can't speak to that particular filter but I bought a six-stage RO DI 100 gpd system on ebay for $110 that cost at least $250 anywhere else and up to $350 in some places and I'm really happy with it. Just check out the ratings of the ebayer you're buying it from.

I also bought co2 equipment from welding supply stores that was half the price you pay from fish stores, even online.

I guess everybody's got to make a living somehow! :)

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Watch the shipping and handling charges on eBay auctions -- they often are pretty outrageous. You may want to facter that into your decision and weigh which way would be better. PetSmart will honor their internet pricing at the store, I believe Petco will also. Have you checked Fosters and Smith, Big Al's and some of the other vendors?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Ebay is fine for something like an RO unit, tis where I got mine. But I would not get something as important as a filter from there. I would buy it from a known vendor. This way returns ect ect can be made in the event it breaks or malfunctions. Buying one from Ebay your pretty stuck if it breaks 30 days later.

$170 seems to be the going price for one. I seriously wouldn't pay that much for this filter. It's like they put an adjustable flow control on a 404 slapped a new name on it and upped the price by 70 bucks. WTF! I think not. get a filstar they have very good reviews and are 70 bucks cheaper. Big Al's Online Aquarium Supply

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. As far as I know the 405 is just a 404 with a new label and a darker gray body. I do not see any reason why it should be marked up 70 bucks from what the 404 used to cost.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Ohh and pure one more thing i did a little research on the RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter and I have a question. is it only for saltwater tanks? and does the filter come with everything needed or I have to buy the filter media sepratly? All i am asking is. Does it have everything? are you using the filter yourself. If yes can you post a pic of the setup? Thanks again

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
No I do not have one, but like I said before they have darn good reviews here. I use the fluvals. Not because they are any better mind you. Just most of them where given to me. Kinda hard to beat free ya know.

Like Orion said they are for FW or SW, altho I wouldn't use any canister filter on a SW tank.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Thanks for the input guys. but I think I will go with the RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter from Bigal's. It seems to be a good deal. Well have to wait for my paycheck and see if i get the Bonus i was supposed too.

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I can't remember if I saw them at PetCo or Petsmart, but one of those stores has the Fluvals all on sale for about $20 off the regular price. I am pretty sure that them prices are the same nationally so if you have them near you you may want to check them out.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Just thought I'd chime in and say that my favorite canisters are the eheims...you can get good prices on them just the same as the filstar or fluvals if you watch for sales...but for ease of use I think they are definitely great filters.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Always remember this - if you see a good price online (at a store, not on Ebay) and print out the page then take it to PetSmart - they will match that price.

I set up my 55 and my 40 by doing that. I paid all of the Big Al's prices for my gear at PetSmart; immediate gratification and no shipping!

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
echoofformless said:
Always remember this - if you see a good price online (at a store, not on Ebay) and print out the page then take it to PetSmart - they will match that price.

I set up my 55 and my 40 by doing that. I paid all of the Big Al's prices for my gear at PetSmart; immediate gratification and no shipping!

really are you serious. At petsmart the filter is for $169. Thats true no shipping but tax is still there. Is it?

Last edited:

lou48314

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sterling Heights, MI
Mangoman said:
I can't speak to that particular filter but I bought a six-stage RO DI 100 gpd system on ebay for $110 that cost at least $250 anywhere else and up to $350 in some places and I'm really happy with it. Just check out the ratings of the ebayer you're buying it from.
Hey, I think we bought the same RO/DI unit from the same guy!
It was a heck of a deal. I have made about 200 gallons of RO water now and the TDS meter barely reads anything!

lou48314

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sterling Heights, MI
Pure said:
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. As far as I know the 405 is just a 404 with a new label and a darker gray body. I do not see any reason why it should be marked up 70 bucks from what the 404 used to cost.
You can buy Fluval 404's on Ebay for 90 bucks plus 18 bucks for shipping and handling.
I have had the XP series and I like the 404 much more. The 04 series is far superior to the 03 series. I do agree that the 05 series is way over priced.
I like the fact that the Fluvals are made out of ABS plastic and they do not seem to be as brittle as other canister filters.
I bought a 304 and a 404 on Ebay in the past month. Both are the same thing I would get at the pet stores and they cost a lot less too.
My 304 was 59 bucks plus 12 bucks shipping and handling.
Get the Fluval for the 90 bucks and you will have a canister filter that will last you a lifetime.

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
recently i compared my 204 too a brand new 205 and found that it is much more than what pure says, it has a better design for the racks the media buckets slide on, meaning it is now pretty much impossible to try and put a bucket in and do it incorrectly. also the motor is much smoother when pumpin full capacity against a lot of dense media you no longer get the slight burps and sags as in the 4 series, IMHO i would go with the 5 series if you can but dont get me wrong i love my 4 series an incredibly reliable machine.

cheers

-Java