Fluval 405

lou48314

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sterling Heights, MI
Panther28 said:
Ok now I am all confused. Should i get the fluval 405 or the rena filstar XP3. Which is better. Say if there was no money question between these 2 filters.
Hands down...
The 05 series Fluval.
I have had a Rena. It is a decent product but I think the Fluval is better.
After reading this thread I started wondering... "Is the 05 worth anything extra?"... So I went out on the web and I did find out that the media baskets are designed better than my 04 series. The impeller well cover has been redesigned to eliminate any "burps" like I get every now and then on my 04 series. The motors have been redesigned... Tons of little engineering changes.
To give you an example of how well the Fluval canister filters are made; I went over to my buddy's house this past Tuesday for a July 4th party. WHile I was looking at one of his tanks I saw that he is STILL running the Fluval 303 that I sold him, used, 5 years ago. I asked him if he had any trouble with it and he told me has had to replace absolutely nothing on it other than doing his regular maintenance. This filter has been in use for nearly 10 years without a problem and it is an 03 series! This is proof that they last.
I had replaced the 303 with a Rena Filstar and it has since gone bye-bye.