Frag question

War Eagle

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2008
Cumming, Georgia
Nice. I have been buying pre mxed water and RO fresh water fromn the LFS. One of the guys suggested that I only buy RO and Reef Safe salt and mix my own. He said teh Reef safe would have more trace elements that the corals need than the Instant Ocean they use. What do you think? Is it worth giving up the convenience of buying the pre mix?

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Nice. I have been buying pre mxed water and RO fresh water fromn the LFS. One of the guys suggested that I only buy RO and Reef Safe salt and mix my own. He said teh Reef safe would have more trace elements that the corals need than the Instant Ocean they use. What do you think? Is it worth giving up the convenience of buying the pre mix?
Depends on the price of the premix I guess. I use Instant Ocean and I have a cheap 5 stage DI filter hooked up under the faucet to make the water.

War Eagle

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2008
Cumming, Georgia
OK, the premix is not much more than the RO. So taking $ out of the picture does the Reef salt have any more trace elements than the Instant Ocean?

Either way I am so happy with my new light. I have worried about my polyps since I got them 4 weeks ago. They weren't dying they just didn't do anything. Since I installed the new 50/50 bulb those guys are really reaching out for some of the goodness. My torch seems to be going good also. It's not al big as yours but I notice last night it even grabbed a few flakes and pulled them in to eat.

I'm also doing frequent small water changes, about 1 gal everyother day. I am starting to see the nice purple coraline start to grow. I'm happy about that too. Thanks for yall's help and opinions. More to come. I'll get up some full tank shots soon.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
With the pre-mix vs. mixing your own, on a smaller tank like yours, I don't think it's worth the hassle, especially if you're happy with the pre-mixed water. You can easily add calcium, alkalinity and magnesium to the tank, if it's needed (test first). It gets a lot more expensive on a larger tank if you're adding a lot of supplements to a large volume of water, but with a smaller tank, it's more managable.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
OK, the premix is not much more than the RO. So taking $ out of the picture does the Reef salt have any more trace elements than the Instant Ocean?

Either way I am so happy with my new light. I have worried about my polyps since I got them 4 weeks ago. They weren't dying they just didn't do anything. Since I installed the new 50/50 bulb those guys are really reaching out for some of the goodness. My torch seems to be going good also. It's not al big as yours but I notice last night it even grabbed a few flakes and pulled them in to eat.

I'm also doing frequent small water changes, about 1 gal everyother day. I am starting to see the nice purple coraline start to grow. I'm happy about that too. Thanks for yall's help and opinions. More to come. I'll get up some full tank shots soon.
Mine never seems to eat like that. It also started out originally as two small heads that I bought last summer and kept it in an Aquapod 12 under the PC lights. Then it moved into my other Aquapod under intense halides and started growing. Now in my 90 gallon tank it's too big to keep anywhere but on the side of the tank where it can't sting anything. I think it's 6 heads now.