-Free tank-(for me)

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
i just got a 800-1000 gallon acrylic tank for FREE!! A LFS was going out of business and me and some friends had a hayday....kid in candy store style!!
Im not gonna gloat about it all cuz im not tlike that but this one thing this tank OMG its sweet. First thing i need to do is buff out some scratches anyone have any good techniques for this? I've looked on the web but any advice would help? then i gotta plumb it up probably with a couple sumps? I need to find some cheap salt what like 500 lbs? so that i can fill the thing i have like 800lbs of sand and another 1200 to 1500 lbs of rock. I also need an RO machine and iam gonna have to stack some RO water fto fill this thing.
This tank is gonna be a very long ongoing project so im sure i will need much advice a some people to vent to hope yall will be around!! How do i post pics would love to show yall what im stoked on. Also if i post some measurements can somebody compute them or give me the formula to compute this tank into gallons.....thats probably gonna be need to know info...thanks in advance.
Wish me luck!! ;)

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
WOW, nice dude that is a freekin big tank!! LOL, omg it could fall through the floor!!!!!!!! lol thats funny but probably true. well, good luck with it man, be ready to put some mony into this thing and keep us up to date on how its going 4 U. man thats a freekin big tank...... *PEACE!*

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea i get the impression that jammerz you have no idea the kind of financial , time and physical commitment a tank like this takes, there is a gentleman that camaro knows that has a tank this size, he spends about 300$/month just on electricity......I think selling it might be a better idea for you

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
tis true...you've gotten yourself into a hell of a mess if its really that big...its going to cost you more than small fortune to operate that tank

if you post dimensions i can caluculate them...its pretty simple middle school math

as far as posting pictures when you choose the "post reply" or "post new thread" option you can attach pictures through the "manage attachments" option near the bottom

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Lengh * breadth * depth all in inches /231 = US gallons.

For a project like that, the tank is by far the cheapest thing going..... I tihnk 8 feet by 4 by will get you there, except it's likely deeper and narrower.

Lighting = 4 *Metal halide, circulation by pool pump...... unless they were a damn big store it's likely the reason they went out of bust.

Having said that if I was given it I'd put it in the basement, next to a tap, and keep tropheus in it. I couldn't afford to keep it salt

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
my wife said no more tanks and there would be NO WAY I could convince her that this free 1,000 gallon tank would fit into our lives. no way. the maintenance alone would probably be hours a week, or hours a day even. It is a dream come true, but maybe at the wrong time in life. Maybe when you're semi-retired with a concrete clab basement and some 401K savings to draw off of.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You can buy acrylic scratch removers from a lot of online places. Lets see, you might want to try aquatic ecosystems. They have Pro-line salt thats meant for commercial use and is really cheap for a lot of it. I would also look there, because they have nice filtration systems for bigger tanks. For lighting I would say at least 4 metal halides, the more watts the better.

I really have to agree with everyone who says to get rid of it. Yes, its a sweet tank, but water and electryicity bills will be out of the roof! Plus you need a filter, lighting, and salt which can add up to additional $ Plus the fish.

Sell this thing, get a nice 180 or something that you can reasonably maintain, end of story.

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
here are some pics of that tank. Its cut in half right now so i might sell one half to help fund the other half. I also got 2 pumps for free one is a 2400g/hr pump and the other is 1900. Also got light for it. And i got a line on a 55g tank for a sump so yes costly but im almost halfway there. BTW im single, top producer in real estate in my area sold 4.5million last year not as good as i want but ok, so while money is still always an issue feasibility is more of an issue for me. Also i dont plan on setting this up today it is going to be a long project i will be happy if i have water in it by 2 months from now. So should i sell the other half and stand and just keep half, or go BIG?>?

Hmmm i forgot i don't know how to compress images to 50kb.....help??? *BOUNCINGS

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
I didn't know people bought houses in Boise!? J/K I think if you have the money you should do it!! Why not then you could go deep sea diving in your own basement. Charge a scuba school to come over and learn how NOT to touch corals.

Hope to see some pictures.