FRESH WATER BARRACUDA

Apr 27, 2012
Lexington, KY
hmmm...my wife bought one this week dispite my wishes aginst it(hehe, mean sounding I know, but we really dont have a place for it :) And they had on the tank that it was a hujeta. I have not been able to find a whole lot of information about these fish, but if I run accross any I will be sure and post it. Hers has a little red on the tail, it has one large black spot near the tail area, and all of its fins are rounded.

these hujeta are not actually barracuda they are gars. similar in appearance though. The main difference is the "beak" of the hujeta is longer and they will only grow to 6 maybe 7" depending on the tank size. barracuda are much faster and more aggresive when well kept. I currently have 4 hujeta in my 50 gallon and i have 5 yellowtail barracuda in my 120 gallon. the yellow and redtail also grow much larger than hujeta averaging 12-16" when kept in captivity

Apr 27, 2012
Lexington, KY
this really doesnt do him justice, but its the best I can find for now.
i recently moved 4 of these bad boys into one of my 120 gallon tanks. Very easy going fish, until feeding time that is. they love to stalk their prey so i would recomend a few tall plants or floating plants for cover when they attack their food. They stay up towards the top of the tank and use the open water for cover. I use a nice sized powerhead for them to replicate their natural habitat and the love it. All in all, a great fish to own. Never really mess with any of their tankmates. Good Luck!

Last edited: