freshwater moray eel

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
:D i just got a freshwater moray eel he is a monster about 16-18 inches long only cost me £10.so have any of you guys got one and if so any tips as info is always welcome*celebrate

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
sounds like a good size to me... Keep in mind this guy is a predator, also keep in mind is natural habbittat is more brackish than fresh, they are the only moray eels found in brackish and freshwater, and they LOVE loads of hiding places :)

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
thx i got loads of hiding places for him with rocks and slate and bogwood and i know he is a predator but he is in with a senegal bichir, peacock eel and various catfish and a fresh water barracuda so he should be ok.

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
hey guys bad news my moray died im gutted. Apparently the warehouse that has the stock for my lfs had a fire and they think thats the reason he died. so i got a refund and have bought a tyre track eel instead, but im really gutted about my moray.

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
that doesnt sound quite right to me IMO. If they had a fire and contaminates got into the water, its possible it had a negative effect on the eel, if thats the case then they shouldnt have shipped it. I've seen such things happen before and the warehouses do not ship anything until everything is cleaned up and made sure the livestock isnt in any type of danger.

How was your eel acting when you got him? and how was it acting at the LFS? Depending on its behavior, that may be a good indication of the real COD.

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
he was acting the same at my lfs as in my tank, he didnt move about much and seemed to be breathing heavy if you know what i mean.my local lfs has had quite a few returns of dead fish since the warehouse fire so they seemed to think that was the cause they checked my water and that was ok.