Frogspawn

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
can someone help me take care of my frogspawn?
can i use Kent Marine ZooPlex, Phytoplex or ChromaPlex as a main food source?
which is better?

its getting a good amount of current and its opening up nicely.

im using a 15w light on it with a 1w LED 470nm light to supplement it for now. it looks great with the blue.

btw light is going to change soon.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Yes, that is pretty low lighting, but they supplentary feed a lot, so that's not a disaster. I feed mine mysis, but mostly it gets by with scraps from the fish so bits from cyclopeeze up in side. I'm not familiar with those products, but I suspect they're mostly too small.
You know they sting other corals like crazy, so if anything inside a foot circle round it starts suffering you knwo where to look. They can grow very fast in optimal conditions

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
im planning to add better lights soon.

since they grow fast i dont think i want any other coral in there so i'll probably end up making it a frogspawn tank or something.

i need thos blue lights =p

btw its a green purple tip frogspawn.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
as far as i know frogspawn likes low current..... mine does grow pretty fast... what tank u keeping it in?? and 15w light sounds like the normal light that comes on a tank wich i dont belive is nearly enough... i feed mine cyclopeeze/mysis ;)

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
well its really high/med flow. i aimed my power heat (230gph mod it to 250 tho)
and the side that was getting almost a direct hit isn't opening up...so i aimed it higher. its not getting a jet stream anymore and everything is fully inflated.
it looks happy with a good amount of flow.

hope it hangs in there for the new light to come....

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
im begining to love my frogspawns more then my ricordea....they look soo soft i kinda wat to touch it sometimes. XD

i touched it about 3 times when i was locating it but didnt get stung. lucky me =p

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
it won't sting your hand but if you drag a sensitive part like your inner forearm across it be prepared for a nasty itchy patch much like poison ivy....

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
thanks for the warning...
i might relocate the frogspawn today...

hey when i was feeding it zooplex the other day i noticed that the tentacles retracted and the mouth opened. pretty cool.

since i want a "forest" of frogspawns im planning to make a cheap spray bar to even out the flow.

Last edited:

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
they both look a little stressed imo (both of their mouths appear to be open) my frogspawn and rics are closed 99% of the time.. they look healthy don't get me wrong just a little mad about something.. what kinda blue light is that? i love how it makes the ric look!

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
the mouths are open because i took the pics during feeding time.

i relocated the frogspawn lower and its getting low to medium flow right now and it seems to be happy. i need to increase the light to bring back its color...