Fu Man Chu/Twin Spot Lionfish

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Fu Man Chu Dwarf Lionfish - Dendrochirus biocellatus

I currently have one on hold at my LFS. It is about 2" long. I am having them hold it until he will eat frozen foods. I am not worried about compatability, I have that set straight. I was interested in what some of you would have to say about this species (experience, hearsay, etc.). I picked it over a Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish and the Zebra Dwarf Lionfish. Are they considerably easy to take care of versus their biocellatus relative?

I decided on him for his unique coloration and "feeler" appendages. I've also read that they have a peculiar prey stalking dance, shaking from side to side.

Thanks.

-Kevin C.

Example Photo: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2004/fish2.htm

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
They are a really cool fish. They arent very active though, same with the other lions. They tend to like to hover underneath rock ledges, hide out kinda. Eat anything that fits in their mouth (which is suprisingly big).

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
He will eat your clowns when he gets bigger...I had a lion that was fine with a clown for like a year...got big enough and forgot to feed him...he ate his clown buddy without a second thought.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
aresgod

Really? I thought I was surely clear of that. I've read multiple times that they only reach 4". Makes me think that their mouth wouldn't get so big, but I have also heard of Volitans capable of eating fish TWICE their size.

My LFS also said that they should be fine, since the Maroons hang out in the BTA so much.

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think so too. The maroons might even be a bit rough for it.

You might be waiting a while till they get it going on frozen - they are not great eaters. But it should be easy to get live shrimp to feed it with tho' while you/they try to get one ot frozen foods

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I feel that the clowns will be able, atleast, to hold their own. The only aggression I have seen from them is towards my 3-Stripe (I can't seem to catch him, any tips?).

wayne

I am having the LFS wean it to frozen before I buy it. I don't have the money to grow live and it is too inconvenient to goto the LFS everytime or everyother time I need to feed it. The guy that I am dealing with at the stores seems really knowledgeable, particularly on the Fu Manchu. He has kept a couple in tanks of his own, and says that the ones that he has delt with that have come into the store have had about a 90% success rate to finally convert to frozen food over a relatively short period of time. So I feel pretty confident.

Boy, he is gorgeous! I can't wait. I am going to see if he is ready on Wednesday.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Has any one tried wiggling a thawed food grade shrimp in front of one with a pair of long tweezers or something....?

I know this works for some predatory fresh water fish. Can't see why it wouldn't work for salt. It does normally take a few times before the fish will swallow the shrimp tho. Guess they have to get used to the dead taste.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Well, he still isn't eating the frozen food. Thats okay though, he isn't beating my expectations. Hopefully I'll have him in two weeks or so, who knows, maybe sooner.

I picked up this Rock Anemone though, only $8! (Sorry about the sunlight, I'll get another picture later, hopefully a macro)

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
KahluaZzZ

Which one? lol Both look mean.

The anemone took forever to let go of me once I got him into the tank. Really, really sticky. It was rockhard when closed. Oh and no macro, turns out we got rid of the SLR. Crap..

(Sun down, lights still on)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Success!

FINALLY! After 4 weeks, the Fu Man Chu finally ate the frozen krill! It took as long as expected, and I was ready to give up, but he finally ate frozen! I'm so excited!

Oh, and best of all, during his whole hour in my tank so far, nobody has bothered him. My female Goldstripe Maroon was certainly thinking about doing something. lol

He's small too, only about 2".

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Thanks! He seems comfortable. The lights are off (moonlight on), and he has skipped around a bunch, more than I thought he would on his first night. My mom would complain if he isn't too active, but I'm sure glad that I got him!*thumbsups

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Just be careful of his spines (like you really wouldn't have been had I not told you :rolleyes: )
I remember going to the LFS with my dad as a kid, and asking the owner of the store how badly lionfish stings hurt. He said he had been stung by a lionfish, and he had also been in such a bad head-on collision car accident that he had been thrown through the car windscreen. He said if he was forced to do one of those again, he would choose the windscreen over the lionfish sting. Who knows, he may have been playing it up to impress an impressed kid, but either way, if I ever have my hands in a tank containing a lionfish, I won't be taking my eyes off it.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I heard some story from my dad how people in Hawaii and such would kill themselves to get rid of the pain from Volitans Lions. I'll be sure to watch him. One and a half body lengths is striking distance, and they strike FAST. I don't think I'll ever get that close to him. Atleast I only have to watch my Snowflake Eel during feeding time, so I can give my attention to him, otherwise he'll go for my fingers, and that REALLY hurts.

When I bought him yesterday, I also picked up a 24" feeding stick.;)

If anything ever happens, I hope that I am not allergic to bee stings.