Fu Man Chu/Twin Spot Lionfish

ChrisC

Small Fish
Jun 1, 2006
If i get one of those lionfish, i will never! ever! put my hands in my tank ever again! I will get those tongs long enough to reach the bottom, i wouldnt want to get stung, dont they also have venom that can make you sick?

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
The anaphylactic shock that the sting can put you in can certainly be serious, but as for making you "sick", I don't think so. I believe the recommended treatment is the same as for stings from jellyfish, urchins, wasps etc etc. Put some vinegar on it (or even urine - ammonia) and try not to cry.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Even though all the sites suggest hot water (110F), I would think that the urine/vinegar would work better. Any thoughts on this?

Updates
He attacks the frozen krill now!! It's awesome! Then, since I use the feeding stick, he violently shakes himself off of the stick. Fun to watch.:cool:

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
All the sites I have seen say hot water, BUT does ammonia work faster? At all?

I know for sure that vinegar works best for sting rays, they leave a 1 gallon jug at my local beach. My friend had to use it once...poor kid.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Well, if the time ever comes, I have a quart of vinegar in a bottle below my tank, so I'll let you guys know. I am not going to test this purposely, :rolleyes: but I bet a dwarf wouldn't be capable as bad a sting as any Pterosis.