garlic for ick?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
wayne,
I had read one of your earlier posts were you had mentioned Garlic as a treatment for ick, how effective is it and what is the garlic/gallons of H2O ratio, just curious
thanks
Brahm

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
i soak my food with a garlic extract and a small bit of water for about 5 minutes before i feed.i feed about 5 small wafers and one big algae wafer in about 1 teaspoon of water with 2-3 drops of garlic extract.garlic extract is nice because it has a long shelf life but fresh garlic juice is best,as the active ingredent allicin(sp), is most effective at the stage and it breakes down quickly,even is preserved.fish absorb it best when it is fresh as well.garlic works in both fresh or salt water at the same dosage i beleive.maybe more garlic for lager fish?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I believe that Garlic is a better preventative measure instead of a treatment when your fish have ich. You can put garlic in your fish food or buy food with it already in it.

20 Gallon Freshwater Tank

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's reputed to do a lot of things, but it's nothing like 100%. Fish are supposed to go crazy for garlic flavoured food, but I don't see it. I wouldn't look for, or expect to find, exact formulae per 100 gallons

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
My fish seem to love the garlic soaked food, i am using it as a preventative measure, and they really like it, if you can get over the massive garlic smell of cutting up fresh garlic everyday!
brahm

tango339

Small Fish
Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Ok. heres is the deal. I had two clarks clowns in my 29g fish only w live rock. they were mean to keep anything else so I traded them in for a royal gramma. I was fine, my water was great, all was well. Right the next day it had ich. I do not see how this thing could get it. It is the only fish in the tank. Please tell how to cure it without putting it in a q. tank, cus I do not have one. thanks in advance.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Well, my advice would be to go buy a 10 gallon qt tank, but if you cant do that there are a number of options, i personally dont like to medicate my tanks, unless there in a qt tank, so what you cn do and i have found to work really well is to make up a batch of freesh water that matches temp and ph of your salt water and to do a fresh water dip. these can be tricky however, the fish should be dipped for between 3-8 min depending on the fish, ask your lf how long they think it should be dipped for, you can find more info on these dips online, there might even be some on this site, also you Royal Gramma prolly already had ich when you brought it back from the fish store, good luck
Brahm

mlipst

Small Fish
Jul 22, 2008
First try netting the fish. You will probably have to take the tank apart. If you put the fish back in the same tank, it may become infected again. It is likely that there are ich spores still remaining in the water. You would need to let the tank go for about four weeks to allow the ich to life cycle through without a host, and it will then die. There are tank safe medications that you can get for your situation, and they do work. I used one several years ago, successfully. Now I have a quarantine tank.