GETTING NEW FISH

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Tre that pic of the midas blenny is kind of deceiving. Mine was completely yellow and about 6 inches long. He only showed those markings when stressed as most blennies seem to become mottled in colour when stressed.

Unfortunately my midas, who was one of my favourite fish jumped through the eggcrate to go hardwood surfing and I didn't find him in time.....:(

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I want to suggest fairy wrasses... they are underrated for no apparent reason. Gorgeous colors, very active, very peaceful, reasonable price. I have no idea why Fuzz said to avoid them, unless he was referring to one of the big wrasses or a sixline wrasse. They are jumpers, though. Ditto with dwarf angels... gorgeous, active, reasonably peaceful.

If you're going solely for activity, I would steer clear of firefishes, they just aren't that active. They're really skittish and when they do come out, they just hang in the water column, not real activity like you get with a lot of other fish. Otherwise, they are nice fish, hardy and peaceful.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Lets get this tang issue straightened out. A tang in a 46 gallon tank is not really going to cut it, yea you could probably keep a less active tang eg zebrasoma family in there for a little bit, but will it really be adequate? These fish are constantly swimming ...it doesnt make sense to cram a fish like this into a small tank. With this being said if you get a small yellow tang you could probably keep it for around a year or so but it WILL need a bigger tank.

BlackGhost said:
Ya but there are so many people with yellow tangs in my size tank and there doing fine
What defines doing fine? Months? Years?...these fish in the wild can live over 20 years old...i think its a little to over presumptuous to say that these fish do fine when success is measured at a few years of living.

This is not to bash you in or anyting...I think that with smaller tanks you should stick with smaller less active fish.

Just my .$02