Gold Snai Ques

Nov 3, 2005
New York
Just got a gold snail today, are they active?, he was active for the first 20 mins i had him and now he just sticks to the glass in the corner of the tank, hasnt moved all day. He ate his algae wafer and hasnt moved since.

Sep 8, 2005
They are more active in warmer water. I have several and sometimes they stay in the same spot for hours and hours. Other times they move along quickly. I wouldn't worry about him as he is eating and stuck to the glass. Neat little buggers though aren't they? Oh yeah sometimes they float at the top of the tank. They are not dead just something they do.

Sep 8, 2005
They can stay out of the water for up to a week i hear. They have a trap door that keeps them from drying out. I wouldn't keep mine out on purpose for more than a 1/2 hour or so. So yeah you can play with them. One of mine hitched a ride on my python while cleaning the tank and i found him on the floor. I tossed him back in the tank and he is fine!

Sep 8, 2005
I have a post on bottom feeders about cocoa. There is a picture of a gold mystery snail... see if it looks like yours. Also sometimes applesnails are sold as mystery snails because they don't know what they are. I might be able to tell but i am far from being an expert.

Sep 8, 2005
One of the most characteristic features of apple snails is the tube like organ (siphon) used to breathe while staying submerged.
If your snail has such organ it's definitely an apple snail. This is a quote from applesnail.net. It is near and off to the side of the eye thingies also its shell is a rounder shape.

Sep 8, 2005
The two you see in the pic are gold mystery snails...note the absence of the breathing syphon. Post your pic. See if you can get him on the glass so i can see the underside of him. I'm on my way to work so I'll look in the am and let you know.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Um...sorry to disappoint you but usually when a snail is labled as a mystery snail they are apple snails.

applesnail.net is a great source of information on apple snails. Their answer to the question:

"Q: Are mystery snails also apple snails? Or are they different types of snails?
A: In some sources the name apple snail and mystery snail are considered to be synonyms for the snails of the family Ampullariidae. The name apple snail refers to there size, colour and form, while the name mystery snail comes from the fact that the aquarium market didn't know what kind of snail it was or where it came from, so it was a mystery (snail) for them.
In other sources, the mystery snails are described as snails from the family Viviparidae. The snails from this family look very similar to the snails from the family Ampullariidae, but they do lack a lung and labial tentacles and are livebearing snails (hence the name Viviparidae).
Most snails sold as 'mystery snails' in the shops are Pomacea bridgesii snails."

Pomacea bridgesii is an apple snail. The breathing tube is not always visible as I've noticed with my snails.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
12.99?? goodness...you could have a couple from me including shipping for that much probably! Most stores around here are around 2 dollars for a "mystery" snail...black, gold, green and somewhere my roommate found an orange one ?? BUT it looks like you got an apple snail anyway ;)