GOT MY BETTA!!!!! PICS!!!

Aug 23, 2003
Granada Hills, Ca.
you should get some kind of betta pellets for a staple diet. if you keep feeding him the same thing, he will eventually accept it. also, be careful not to feed him too much. food labels say that you should feed as much as the fish will eat in a couple min, this is untrue for the betta. the betta will eat as much as possible, and if you feed him too much he will literally explode!

nice tank! i would keep filter. i'd also put in a ghost shrimp, they are really interesting to look at. but some bettas will eat the shrimp and some will not.

your betta looks beautiful too! common ones are not just called regular ones, i think they are called veiltails. i'm not really good with fish names, i keep accidentally calling one of my cichlids cocoa, my dog's name. lol.

how much did you spend on that kit?

o, almost forgot. if you feed him really rich food, like blood worms, for a staple diet he may get constipated and could die if not treated. you can avoid this by just feeding him such foods as treats, and you can remedy this by giving him peas.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
try to feed your betta frozen bloodworms that have been tawed in aquarium water,then suck up a couple of worms halfway in a ear dropper.then wiggle the worms around the surface.that should entice him to eat almost always.also try freeze dried daphnia for a good everday food.

mudwoman

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
Massachusetts
Visit site
Mine rarely eats anything on the first go either. He tastes it, spits it out, tastes it again. Sometimes he waits for it to get soggy and sink and then sort of stands on his head as he picks it out of the gravel. I wouldn't worry. Just feed him a good variety and he'll be fine. He's not going to starve himself to death.

Mao

Small Fish
Jun 24, 2003
Roxbury, NJ
Visit site
you betta is a veil tail. It is the basic pet store variety. In fact, though beautiful, the splashes of red on a blue betta are considered a flaw that breeders work for years to get rid of. Go figure. The other tail types (half moon, delta, double tails, veil tail, etc) haven't made it to the pet stores yet for whatever reason. I have been doing a lot of research on bettas because I am going to begin breeding them in january.

On the size of the tank: Bettas were originally found in puddles in rice paddies that were often only a few inches deep. They can live their whole lives and be totally happy in only a few cups of water. The reason you find them all over the place where you used to find goldfish is because they have a super high tolorance for impurities in the water and do well in small unfiltered containers. Of course swiming around is a plus. Most experienced betta keepers keep bettas in 1 gallon tanks/jars.

"Glorified goldfish"????? is that some kind of goldfish knock???? I happen to love my goldfish, and no matter what else I get they are always my favorite, so watch it!

Congrats on your new tank
Isaac

Mao

Small Fish
Jun 24, 2003
Roxbury, NJ
Visit site
also, bettas are only aggresive to other bettas. They can live with any other peaceful species. In fact, they get picked on by more aggresive fish like barbs. They are fine for peaceful community tanks. You just have to make sure there isn't too much flow in the tank. So keeping a goldfish WITHOUT the partition would be fine.

Isaac

Jun 8, 2003
canada
clix.to
This betta looks like mine also lol.. But yours is a lot prettier... Hmmm how about Vladimir?

Vladimir, a boy's name of Russian origin

Meaning: Prince

Cultural & Historical figures with this name: Vladimir Nabokov, Acclaimed novelist (Art/Literature) Vladimir Lenin, Leader of the Russian Revolution in 1917. (World Leaders)

Sports & Entertainment figures with this name: Vladimir Horowitz, Acclaimed Russian pianist (Musicians)

wow thanks for all that info guys really helps but bad news that betta has passed away :( i got a new one a while after his a beautiful green/blue and i call him greenie :D ill try 2 get some pics on of him for you and in different light he looks deep blue and then light green do i have a colour changing betta?!? lol.

p.s this new betta is doing fine i have had him a while now also he has 2 black kuhli loaches for company with him :)