Got New Platys

Jake

Large Fish
Feb 15, 2007
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia , Canada
So I finally went out and got some fish tonight. I now have two Red Platys, and 2 Sunset Platys. Question what does the pH level have to be around?

Thanks,
Will have pics up later

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Platies aren't real sensitive, they'll adapt to whatever pH you have as long as it's reasonably stable.

You want to have a ratio of about 1 male to 2-3 (or more) females, or all of one sex. You don't want as many or more males than females, since they'll pester the females too much so you want to split the male's attention.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Leave the ph alone. It's not too high for your fish's liking, and they're the ones that have to live in it. :D

Seriously, messing with the ph will make your fish sick. They need a steady ph, so toss out the ph-up, ph-down, proper-ph, and all the rest of them. The crap they told you at the store about needing 7.0 ph is what they teach them to say so that you'll buy lots of expensive, ph-swing-producing, therefore-fish-killing, worse-than-useless snake oil. Better you should find out now than after losing a few fish, though.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Congrats on the platies! They've always got a special place in my tanks. ;)
Like the others have mentioned, pH will be just fine where yours is at, so don't worry.

What else do you have the platies in with?

Jake said:
Will have pics up later
Can't wait!

BV

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I have 2 platies and my pH seems to settle at 7.9 and the fish are fine. In fact when I first got the fish few days after Christmas, I checked the pH of the water from the lfs I brought them home from. Their pH was also 7.8-7.9.

One is female, the other male. These two seem to have switched behaviors though. It's my female that is always chasing the male. This is the only reason I haven't added another female.....poor guy would be exhausted!

Jake

Large Fish
Feb 15, 2007
There is no black spot inbehind the fin, on any of them so I do not think they are pregnant. Right now that is all I have in the tank is four platys, any suggestions on what else I could add. I am thinking of adding 2 Ghost Shrimp, or a Pleco. Will Tetras get a long with platys?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Platies don't always show a gravid spot, as their coloring is too opaque. Have a look through the livebearers FAQ at the top of the livebearers forum for some info. By the way, platies generally prefer harder water and a higher pH.

Four platies in a 10g is already almost stocked. I don't think you have room for a school of tetras, and it's not good just to have one or two. A couple of ghost shrimp would be OK. Plecos don't belong in a 10g tank, so definitely don't get one.

sclabman

Large Fish
Jan 21, 2007
L.A.
when mine is pregnant, the spot is more dark orange than black, but the main way i tell if she's pregnant is if she's fatter than usual. they get pretty fat when they're pregnant

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Jake, You will definitely see the gravid spot on your sunset platies when they are pregnant, but may not see it on the red ones. If you're not quite sure if the sunsets have that spot, then they probably don't. The spot becomes very obvious on the sunsets.

Jake

Large Fish
Feb 15, 2007
4 Platys is no where even close for a 10g. They have lots of room in the tank so I am going to be adding some fish for sure just not sure what type. Ghost Shrimp are a positive. I am thinking one hatchet fish. and I also need a algae/bottom feeder Any Suggestions?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Jake said:
4 Platys is no where even close for a 10g. They have lots of room in the tank so I am going to be adding some fish for sure just not sure what type.
It's not about room, it's about bioload. You should also have probably gotten a trio (two females, one male) for better compatibility.

Jake said:
I am thinking one hatchet fish.
It's not a good idea to get one, they're schooling fish. You really don't have room in your bioload for a school of fish.

Jake said:
and I also need a algae/bottom feeder Any Suggestions?
I thought you'd already decided on shrimp as bottom feeders. Algae eaters really aren't necessary.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Jake said:
Bioload, If I am going to have a aquarium I would like to have a aquarium not a science experiment. If I do not want them to breed then why get a male?
A lot of times, if people don't want to breed fish, they get all males since they are usually more colorful, but all females will do as well. Just, sometimes, they come from the store pg and you may get a few batches of fry since they can hold sperm a while. But, the other fish will eat the fry so it doesn't have to be a problem.

As for the other thing you said, ... too bad, dude, an aquarium IS a science experiment by its very nature -- a little enclosed environment. :) Sorry to be the one to break it to ya. *twirlysmi Overcrowd any environment, even human, and you get outbreaks of disease, excessive aggression, and other problems that work to bring the population back to a more balanced level... but in an artificial environment like an aquarium, the end result can be a total wipeout if the keeper doesn't keep a close eye on the situation and study up on how to handle it.

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
You don't say if there is anything else in the tank. Assuming that there isnt....
All fish are happy at pH 7.0 . some have preferences a little lower or a little higher. But you will find that anything in that area is fine. Also a fish that likes an acidic or alkaline environment will adapt to pretty much anything. It is stability however which it prefers. So if your water is a little out you would do best just leaving it where it is, as up and down all the time will cause problems on its own. but the ideal base level for pretty much all fish is pH 7.0. At this you should have no problems with all but the most sensitive of the advanced hobbiests fish.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I keep my platies at my tap PH of 8.0 and they're fine and dandy. I've even been raising some fry at 8.0. Algae eaters really shouldn't be added to a tank unless you have the algae to feed them with. Your oto will quickly starve to death if there isn't a source of food for it. You should get some algae wafers at your fish store to feed it. The platies will usually pick at these too. This is why people recommend NOT getting the algae eaters in newly set up tanks with no algae in them...