Gravel or Sand

Jimiqb1

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2007
Hi guys.

Just need a little advice if anyone can help?

Just bought a new tank, (155l) and a Fluval 205 External Filter.

I'm going to take my time setting it up over the next month or so, so it's right to transfer my guys over time.

What I was wondering, should i have gravel or sand.

Is there any benefits between them?

Any other advice would be great.

Jimi

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Well, if your going to use live plants, I'd go with something like Eco-Complete. It will give you a sand/gravel feel. If not, I personally like sand better, although you have to let it all settle before letting any filter run, it can cause clogs. Also, what are you going to stock it with? Something that likes to dig in the substrate? If you have diggers, then I'd also use sand.

Jan 22, 2008
I was at the lfs and the clerk said that sand can over time get hard and packed in the bottom of the tank. Making it hard to work with. I think i would choose gravel just because of that fact that sand will get too packed.

Jan 22, 2008
looks like it depends on how much maintenance that would turn into a personal preference then, so if you want a tank that looks good but don't have a that bit of extra time go with gravel if you have a little more time then sand. Either or i guess it doesn't really matter.

Jimiqb1

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2007
d3sc3n7:

Neon Blue Dwarf, I had two, Ryan and Seth. Seth Had the number 8 on his tail it was strange. However he got dropsy. But yeah love the Gourami breed.

Jimiqb1

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2007
fearincognito:
Think I'm gonna go with the sand.

All:

So if the sand get compacted overtime, probe it when I water change. Would I have to leave the filter off for a while?

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I prefer the look of sand over gravel. Sure, you don't have to worry about toxic gasses with gravel as you would sand, but fish like cories and loaches love the sand. I watch my kulie loaches dig around all the time.

My 14g tank is heavily planted and I used pool filter sand. It's less than $5 for a bag. I just have to stir it from time to time just in case the loaches and Malaysian Trumpet Snails miss a spot. And, since my tank is heavily planted I'm not able to really give it a good cleaning with a vac hose anyway.