Green Algae!!!

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
How do I know how much I'm getting?? And I it sounds like power heads are the essential part of a tank. all this time all i have been using was my fluval and thats it.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
powerheads and skimmer are the two big ones...when you buy a powerhead it will give you a gph rating on the box just like a filter...i always overshoot that 10x (at least 15x) because i figure that way if the listed gph ratings are generous im still going to be ok

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Oh I had this idea, and first I just want to thank everyone here at myfihtank.net for working with the salt water newb that I am. Somebody said that the algea could be from Nitrates right, well what if I use a chemical like AmQuel+ to remove my nitrate's. just an idea can any one tell me if this is a good idea. thanx

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
I don't have a salt-water tank but things like amquel are only good for short-term problems. If you continually have to use it then something is wrong and needs to be addressed. Yes it can be good for the short-term but it is best to figure out what is wrong (causing the high nitrates) and then fix that versus spending lots of money on chemicals. Stick with these guys. I don't have a salt-water tank but I read all there posts because I enjoy their knowledge.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i'm dealing w/ green algae too--i use about 15 blue legged hermits, 1 turbo snail, 2 astrea snails, 1 emerald crab, 10-15 cerith snails, and a hitchhiker stomatellid snail--this team has been at work now for about 2-3 weeks--they are definetly making an impact
scrub algae of your rocks with a new toothbrush...use RO water...bring your tank water to the lfs for a free testing--they can give you more advice

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
like dss2004 said that might temporarily remove the symptoms but not the problem itself...its like taking an arthritis med: it gets rid of the inflamation but the arthritis is still there...luckily we can get rid of nitrates better than arthritis

do you have any cleanup crew in your tank? they really will help keep the algae down long term...

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
no I dont, I need to go out and buy buy buy. I am going to talk to the people at the fish store I go to and see what I should get. i bet it will help out a lot, just need a litte bit of $$$ first, for what I need it shouldn't run me to much cash, I don't think.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well...my advice would be to get your equipment set up first and then start thinking about cleanup crews etc. get that filter set the way you want it and the powerheads and possibly the skimmer if you decide to and then let everything calm down for a bit

going out and just "buying buying buying" is how people end up frustrated and broke :)