green vs dwarf puffers

ohchzcktr

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2006
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I just have a quick question. I have a freshwater tank set up (10 gal) and I wanted to get puffers. I have seen many kinds of them. I was wondering which ones would be best suited?? I already have the tank heated and have many plants and caves. I know the dwarf puffers are smaller but they are also more aggressive. I was wondering if anyone knew which fish would probably be better for me....
I've read so many things about a lot of different kinds of puffers. The tank has been set of for a few days just running the filter. I'm just waiting to find the right fish for it. Thanks for any help!!!

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Regardless of salinity, for a 10 the dwarf is best, and no they are not more aggressive than greenspots. It's hard to keep other fish with any puffer.

The dwarfs are for sure freshwater, and you can have more than 1 in a 10. IMO a GreenSpot in a 10 is pushing it, when it becomes an adult.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
In a 10 gallon you are limited to only dwarf puffers. A figure 8 would be ok for a short period of time by itself, but even it would need to be upgraded to a 20 gallon. A green spotted puffer, which are commonly found at lfs, need at least 30 gallons each and are more aggressive than figure 8's and dwarfs. Dwarfs are relatively mild-mannered compared to other puffs. You can sometimes keep dwarf puffers with shrimp, otos and some smaller mollies like balloons.

Dwarf puffers are freshwater, figure 8's are brackish water, and gsp's are brackish to full marine. You can find more info on puffers at www.thepufferforum.com or www.pufferlist.com

In a 10 gallon you could get 3-4 dwarf puffers along with some shrimp or an oto, that is probably your best choice :)

ohchzcktr

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2006
I've read on different pages that you can keep between 2-4 dwarf puffers together as long as you don't have more than one male. Would you do for a smaller number or slightly larger number of them together?

ohchzcktr

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2006
Are there anymore puffers that are freshwater?
I know they have about 4-5 different kinds in the same row of tanks. There are the green puffers, assel puffers, neon green puffer and dwarf puffers.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
If you are only planning on keeping them with an oto, then you should probably go with 1 male and 3-4 females. I don't know how you sex them though, you'd have to figure that out. Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of puffers ;)

All of the other puffers get too big for a 10 gallon, although I've never heard of the other two. The neon green is probably a common puffer or a variation of the gsp. Green Spotted Puffers get about 6" and need at least 30 gallons each, plus brackish to marine water. Figure 8 puffers get around 3" and need at least 10-15 gallons each, plus brackish water. South American puffers get around 3" and need at least 10-15 gallons each, and are freshwater. Check out the sites that I listed for more info.

Last edited:

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Plecos get way too big for a 10 gallon, they can't live in brackish or marine water and yes, the puffers would probably be aggressive to it. The only algae eater that has successfully been kept with dwarf puffers, as far as I know, is an oto. Even that is a hit or miss situation. Puffers are a lot like bettas, some are laid-back while others are extremely aggressive. It just depends on the individual puffer.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
My roommate has dp's in a 10G with a rubbernose pleco (he's tiny for now)...they all seem to leave each other alone. I think any pleco that would fit into a 10 would be fine with dp's...but the 10G is the limiting factor because pretty much anything besides an otto won't work in a 10G for long.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Froggy having kept DPs with Otos, and Fig8s with bumble bees I'm left to wonder if it has more to do with the other fish staying out of the puffers region. Fish that stay on or near the bottom seem to be ok. I can't say for sure about this but it is a VERY heavy speculation of mine.

ohchzcktr

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2006
I think I am excited and have too many questions...
I've heard people say that they have fed puffers small snails.
The people at the pet store said the puffers would eat flakes but almost everything I've read says that puffers rarely have flakes as a staple.
I know they prefer live food which I would assume would be somewhat costly. Is there anything else they will eat?

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Mine love 'baby shrimp' fish food, which you can get at a lfs, or the 'jumbo' shrimp ones but mine are still pretty small for those. I've also started a snail tank to feed them every once in a while. You can get lots of puffer food from the grocery store, like mussles, clams and shell-on shrimp. Also, ghost shrimp are good for crunch value but don't have much nutritional value.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Dwarfs IME seem to be a bit picky, but I know others have had them eat at least freeze dried. At best I could only get mine to eat frozen.

Fig 8s and GreenSpots IME will eat freeze dried but ignore all other dry foods.

Also the puffing if caused out of water can damage them. So if you can they should only be moved in water no nets.

ohchzcktr

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2006
I did hear that about transporting them. Everything I've read said that them puffing air is fatal.
I guess I'll have to see what they are going to like to eat. I'll probably get a couple things to start off and experiment a little bit.
Thanks for all of your help.
I think I'm going to go on Tuesday (when the pet store gets their fish shipment) to check out the puffers that come in...