green vs dwarf puffers

i just bought 3 dwarf puffers. mine havent puffed yet. i think i have 1 male and two females because one is more aggro than the other two. i'm not completely sure yet because they are still too young to sex. its soo funny though because i just put snails in there and this one turned really dark and started attacking them! lol. he returned to his normal color after he ate all their antennaes (sp)

ohchzcktr

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2006
One more question,
I've also read that the puffers like to bury themselves. Right now we have the tank with a gravel bottom...should it be sand so they can dig in it??

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
If you are planning to use fake plants, get the silk or fabric kind - it's easier on their soft bodies. Sand is good for this reason too since they are less likely to get scraped on sand then gravel. I don't know if it's absolutely nescessary though. Someone with more dwarf puffer experience could probably answer that better.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
IME Dwarfs do not normally dig in the sand. That is left to the more predatory puffers like the Congo. They re ambush predators so digging make sense.

The dwarf just seem to eat what they can catch.