Greetings All

Oct 28, 2006
Greetings All,
I recently had a bit of good fortune and happened upon a 180 gallon custom built acrylic tank. The thing is awesome. My wife and I've had a 10 gallon tank with 2 cichlids for just over a year, but we've never dealt with anything this large. We've done absolutely nothing but clean the tank out so far. I recently got in touch with someone from one of our LFS and made an appointment to try and determine how to rework some of this plumbing hidden in the stand. I'm brand new to your forum and would greatly appreciate any guidance you folks can provide.

I'm really excited about this thing and just really don't want to screw up and kill any fish.

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Welcome to the Tank.

A 180 gallon acrylic tank, OMG im so jealous. Can't wait till you get it setup and show us pictures.

The plumbing? SOunds like this tank was drilled to be a saltwater tank. Saltwater is the whole reason why i got into this hobby, but i havent moved from fresh to salt yet. so good luck with that. and remeber WE LOVE PICTURES haha

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site!

I'm assuming you want to do this as a freshwater tank, or are you undecided? You will probably be able to use the setup with most of the plumbing for freshwater. Hopefully, the tank includes whatever pumps were used for it previously.

Oct 28, 2006
Yeah
It was setup as a fresh water and salt water by the previous owner but I don't think I ready to try a salt water tank. The 2 pumps that the previous owner had hooked up to it are still operational and ready to churn. I'll post some pictures of the tank in the in a couple of days. The thing is real wicked looking. I couldn't believe this guy just gave this thing away. He told me that his father had the tank built 18 years ago and if cost like 4 grand.

Oct 28, 2006
I'm not really sure. I'm still new to the hobby. Only been in about a year. I really like Bala Sharks and I hear there good community fish. Also Clown Loaches are very interesting to me.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Welcome to MFT! :) Sounds like a great tank you got your hands on...surely the envy of most of us. Course most have no where to PUT something like that, but we can still live vicariously through you :)

Since you have one tank you should have some of the basics down already, but I think I'd get researching on that puppy and how to cycle a new tank. I'd definitely want to go slow if it were my tank, clean it out and set it up outside or somewhere it'd be ok for it to leak so you can test the plumbing and the seals, make sure everything works correctly plumbing wise (180 gallons would pretty much drown your home eh?) and then get it where its going, decide on substrate, decor & whether you want plants or not, fill er up and start it cycling. Then while its cycling you can have some practice swings at water chemistry and maintenance without worrying about harming any fish in the process (do you have a python?? :D) and decide on your stocking levels. With a tank that size you can go SO many ways!! Just want to keep general stocking rules in the back of your mind though about what types of fish you can mix and who needs what kind of water chemistry and diet. What a fun project :) You can actually check out the threads including a member of ours called jhill for some more ideas. J actually has a 300g tank that he went through and set up...its pretty impressive, and not a little undertaking for sure.

Oct 28, 2006
Wow,
Thanks Froggy. You gave me some really good Idea's. I think I'll definitely start a journal on this and keep you guys posted. You mentioned not having room for something that size @ home and I'm in the same boat. I've actually opted keep the tank @ the office for now. I work with family so I've got lots of support on getting this thing up and running. Now that I'm a member of the tank apparently I've got a wealth of experience to draw from. Once again thanks to all of you for all the help. I feel like one of the luckiest people ever and I don't want to let anyone down by screwing this up.

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
LOL yes a python is a snake, but what Froggy was referring to is a device that drains and fills your tank with water, its called a Python, for a tank that big, it would be in your best interest to purchase one.

here is a link of a description The Python "NO SPILL CLEAN and FILL" Water Changer and Gravel Washer

You can find them at most pet stores, and there not that expensive at all.

good luck

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Wow, lucky duck! What a fun project! Definately read the all the sticky notes you can about tank cycling and make sure to buy a freshwater test kit! Be careful at the local fish store, they're going to hear about this huge tank and just see cash signs. Don't let them try to sell you weird chemicals or fish right away. Ask on here about any problems or products first, don't let them sucker you into buying anything you don't need!

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
And definitly get a python (the one to change the water, not the snake). I keep meaning to get one for my 75 gal., I couldn't imagine trying to do water changes on a 180 gal. without one. Buckets are nice for small tanks, but for a 180, a python is probably one of the best things for you. You will be soooo glad you have it once you do that first water change! Plus, can you imagine having to fill it for the first time.... with buckets?

Oct 28, 2006
Oh,
No I don't have one of those yet. I'm headed to the LFS today to talk to the guys there about how to get the plumbing situated before I get into that. One step at a time. I do have one specific question at this point. I was thinking about putting the tank in the conner of the office next to the window. I was reading somewhere about sunlight affecting the water temp. With a tank that large with two overflow columns on each side letting down into a basin beneath the tank and pumping back up into the tank. I was thinking that with all that circulation water temp being to hot shouldn't be an issue. If anything I'm gonna definitely need heaters right?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sunlight doesn't affect the temperature as much as it tends to cause algae blooms. I would definitely do something to block sunlight into the tank. It would be much more to your advantage to place the tank somewhere that is within close range to a source of water and a drain for your water changes. And yes you will most likely need heaters, depends on the ambient temperature at your office...if it stays between 75 and 80 all the time then you might only need them as a precaution, if they shut everything down on the weekends or at night and the place turns into an ice cube then you'll definitely need some heavy duty heaters. (probably at least two 200 watts)

Have fun at the local store...just be sure that by enlisting their help you dont get talked into spending a bunch of money on stuff you dont need. Even if their intentions are good everyone seems to get burned at local stores. At the very least take down their suggestions on products and come here and we can let you know if they have their heads screwed on straight before you drop the cash :D

Oct 28, 2006
Went to the LFS and they were very helpful. I think I have everything I need except for rocks, plants, and fish. I was considering using a few river rocks in conjuction with smaller stones for the bottom. Is there any reason why I shouldn't.