Halogen kelvin temp

Mar 7, 2005
Westchester Il.
Gotta question, Are 160 watts of flourescent lighting at 6500 k better than 600 watts of 2700k halogen? of 5000k halogen?
I know plants use more blue light ,but is the extra wattage enough to compensate for the difference in kelvin temp?

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Kelvin & wattage are unrelated. I wouldn't use halogen because they are too hot, inefficient, and they don't render colors very well. Flourescents are much better. Furthermore, you don't need that kind of wattage on an aquarium. There are far better choices, like higher intensity flourescents such as VHO, power compact, and T-5's.

For growing plants, anything above 4000K should suffice.

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
The short answer: No

The long answer:
Kelvin temperature by itself doesn't really tell you much about useful spectrum. Plants primarilly utilize light around wavelengths of 650 nanometers (orange-red) and 450 nanometers (blueish-violet). The lower the temperature, the more lacking in the blue end of the spectrum, so you are on the right track. That is one of the reasons reefers use actinic bulbs--to supplement the high frequency (short wavelength) blue light.

A bulb in the 2700K range (sounds almost like a High Pressure Sodium light) would probably have a yellowish-green color. Plants appear green because they cannot utilize light in the green and yellow portions of the spectrum, and therefore reflect it. If most of the light is in this range, it is doing almost nothing for the plants. It would be making the electric company lots of money and heating your house, though.

According to this thorough description about tungsten halogen lamps, they have a luminous efficacy of about 30 lm/W (or less if artificial means are used to raise the color temperature above 3200K). The 5000K fluorescent tubes I am currently using have a rated luminous efficacy of 92.5 lm/W (3700 lumens/40 watts). So, in simple terms, it would require between 493.3 (luminous efficacy of 30 lm/W) to 672.7 watts (luminous efficacy of 22 lm/W) to produce the same quantity of light as I do with only 160 watts. As an added benefit, my tubes also have peaks at 450 and 620 nanometers... real close to where they need to be.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2005
Westchester Il.
Thanks Turbine,
I already have a 600w fixture on there, and while I like it (im using it partially heat the water) I guess ill stick to flourescents. I have a 400w metal halide, Im guessing this would also be horribly innapropriate.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
TurbineSurgeon said:
Plants appear green because they cannot utilize light in the green and yellow portions of the spectrum, and therefore reflect it. If most of the light is in this range, it is doing almost nothing for the plants. It would be making the electric company lots of money and heating your house, though.
That is THEE BEST explanation I have ever come across. Thanks.