hand me down salt set up

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
what sort of soft corals should i look to buy that would do well with my lighting?
Yep, mushrooms, scallops and clams will do fine with your lights. Don't get to exotic without T5's or MH's. Brain corals are a nice addition that don't need to much light either, but they like to be placed on the substrate for spreading.

eric h

Small Fish
May 26, 2006
everything looks great am getting some coraline growth and water is in good shape. im going to wait a bit but i want to get some pulsing xenia just for starters. thanks for the help with this. *thumbsups

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Clams and scallops are definitely out. Most tridacna clams require metal halide lighting as they are totally photosynthetic. The only giant clams that don't require high lighting are squamosas and they get to be up to 20" long which is totally unsuitable in a tank of your size. Scallops are total filter feeders who are sadly enough doomed to die in captivity and should be left in the ocean..........stick with mushrooms, zoas and some of the leathers such as toadstools, fingers, and such like kenya trees, also xenias and other polyps....

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
really.....I have a huge green one, though it is under mh light it has grown from about the size of a quarter to about 10-12 inches across. I have a pulsing sinularia that does well under pcs also....and I have a frogspawn that I have had for a year or so under pcs that has quadrupled in size.....lots of possiblities.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
i just bought some green star polyps, is there anything i should know.
Not to sound harsh, but I think you should know that it's a much better idea to find out before you buy what the requirements or characteristics of any creature are.

GSPs are famous for overtaking tanks. They'll spread everywhere, and it'sa good idea to put them on an island rock where they can't cover the whole tank. They don't have high requirements, but they can close up for a week or 10 days if they get annoyed by changes in parameters or there isn't enough flow for them.

eric h

Small Fish
May 26, 2006
i did talk to the guy at the store before i bought them. i told him what kind of lights i had, he also tested my water. he said thats a good one to start with.
just curious if the pros on this fourm had anything to add.