Handicapped Betta

Jan 4, 2010
Canada
I have two Betta fish, one of which has become somewhat handicapped. I don't know how to get him to start moving again. He sinks to the bottom of the bowl and just sits on the rocks. He only moves when poked. My other Betta fish is huge and has no problem staying afloat or staying active.

I know that currents give fish in tanks exercise and keep them moving about, but can that be applied to a Betta fish? If so, are there specialized Betta fish bowls that have bubblies or pumps?

His fins seem really pitiful, but neither of my fish had big fancy fins anyway. How can I help Alphonse?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
What size bowl is he in? Does he have a heater? My guys get REALLY lethargic and just sit on the bottom if their water gets too cold. As far as the fins go...are your guys veiltails or crowntails? What do you feed them and how often? Do you feed any live or frozen foods like brine shrimp or bloodworms?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Female Betta do like to exercise in currents i noticed...My female bettas always love to swim against the currents set up by the power-head in their tanks. (majority of the tank has stagnant water, yet females prefer to swim in the Current.)

Males with long fins will hate any sort of current. even my plakat male only ventures into the current of his tank when there food there.

Your Betta fish will be more active if he was in a 5gal tank with a heater keeping his temp to the proper 79-80F.