has anyone used a product called cycle?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Dclown. I'm glad your so enthusiastic. But please stop spamming your own thread. If you make a post and then want to say something else, no need to make ANOTHER post right below it. Just go into the original post and use the edit tab in the bottom right hand corner of that post.

As far as cycle goes. Yeah it's a bunch of crap. It doesn't do anything. I've tried it several times and never noticed that it sped up my cycle. It didn't hurt anything but it surly didn't do as advertised.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
no i wasnt saying that i was saying for those that wanna know im not saying that i dislike anyone or anything.. i think you took my post wrong... i was just saying new info but it wouldnt go so i put for those that care so that the string was long enough to be accepted.. and to pure i am tryn to write a day by day step of my accounts of it.. not anything else... sorry if that seems like im posting instead of going back and editing... i will clean up my posts..

celticveil

Medium Fish
Oct 8, 2005
The hagen rep said they had a problem with some of the bacteria being too aggressive, and said they'd 'almost completely fixed that' in their newest incarnation of cycle...i.e. they still have no clue whats wrong. And here's something to think about in terms of cycle vs. bio-spira...when we ot the contract to carry bio-spira, marineland included a clause which forced us to bring in new mini-fridges in compliance with their ragulations. A bit extreme, yes, but they've held out on contracts with companies that wouldn't comply,(my old company was one of those, ha dot get it through a backdoor vendor,). Cycle bacteria,(if such a thing actually exists in that bottle,) dies in high temperatures...and I know for a fact I've unloaded trucks where the temp was over 100 degrees fahrenheit and the bottles were hot to the touch, therefore...dead and worthless. Maybe thats the prime cause of bio-spiras failures?

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
ive heard about stress-zyme,but i never tried before.As i told i use bacter ball,it contain and instant growth of bacteria to eat algae to decompose dead plants and fish waste.but im not sure why they name it bacter call when the product come in powder like.lol try it,it works,since i using it,i never have nitrate and ammonia problem and u can see the differents in your filter,the sponge have just a liltle stain even u didnt wash it for 3months.But the problem was,it need at least a layer of soil to let the bacteri breed or not it will day in sand and pebbles fravel,and it is quite expensive.lol

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
So what made you change your mind that "cycle" doesn't work as advertises. I am very interested in your day to day log results that suggestde this.

Rohn

PS I am not here to criticize or defend you. I am here to learn from someone’s scientific approach to testing validity of "cycle"

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Keep this thread in mind the next time you want to set up a tank.

You only need to EVER cycle a tank once. After that you will never need to cycle a tank ever again. Yep you read that right. After that you have the best instant cycle product ever created already living in your current tank.

Next time you set up a tank run a sponge filter in your current tank for about a month before you're ready. When you set up the new tank, go ahead and stock it. Put the sponge filter in this new tank and you will never see a full blown cycle again.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
yes once again pure with some good knowledge... also i really dont suggest cycle to anyone... as i really dont think it worked at all.. i added almost a whole bottle during the first few days and saw no improvment and cycle says on the back u cant overdose... ofcourse u cant on water >.>

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Pure said:
Keep this thread in mind the next time you want to set up a tank.

You only need to EVER cycle a tank once. After that you will never need to cycle a tank ever again. Yep you read that right. After that you have the best instant cycle product ever created already living in your current tank.

Next time you set up a tank run a sponge filter in your current tank for about a month before you're ready. When you set up the new tank, go ahead and stock it. Put the sponge filter in this new tank and you will never see a full blown cycle again.
Not to state the obvious, but since we've seen several people talking about setting up s/w tanks, I suppose it's worth pointing out...

This won't work if you take a sponge out of a FW tank and put it in the SW tank. The change in osmositc pressure will _very_ quickly kill anything on the sponge. (Saltwater is actually a great sanitizer for anything that does not regularly come into contact with salt)

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
This won't work if you take a sponge out of a FW tank and put it in the SW tank.
Wrong, nitrifier are capable of adjusting to varying range of salinity. There you can seed SW tank with bacteria from FW tank and vice versa.
This is the reason that Bio Spira that you use in a FW tank can easily be used to cycle a SW tank without any problem, provided that you have FO tank.

Rohn

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Saltwater is actually a great sanitizer for anything that does not regularly come into contact with salt
This is not quite accurate. It is the osmotic pressure (difference) that kill many of pathognes and no the salinity.
For example, many of the SW aquarists will dip their fish in the FW prior to placing them in their tank to get rid of any harmfull pathognes. The osmotic pressure difference b/w FW and SW actually kill many of the bacteria.

But nitrifyin bacteria is much resiliant and thus able to survive and propagate.

Rohn

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
rohnds said:
This is not quite accurate. It is the osmotic pressure (difference) that kill many of pathognes and no the salinity.
That's the "guns don't kill people, bullets destroying major organs and causing massive hemmoraging kill people".

Obviously is the osmotic stress that kills things, but that osmotic stresss is delivered by the salt water.