Help a salt water newb?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
the sand will settle as it is weighted down with bacteria. The silt is actually good as it gives more surface area for the biological filtration......paitence is the key here

Carp

Small Fish
Nov 23, 2008
My new test results

PH 8.2
Ammonia .25
nitrite 0
nitrate possibly 2.5 between colors I think
salinity 30
gravity 1.0225
temp 76.5

Jun 29, 2008
PA
hmm well then you're definitely on your way!

once amonia and nitrite are both at 0, i might wait an extra few days to ensure no other end of clycle mini-spikes occur. if nothing else shows up then you're ready for the CUC....

Carp

Small Fish
Nov 23, 2008
My new test results

PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
salinity 30
gravity 1.0225
temp 79.5

Here's a pic of the tank it is totally clear and has white algae on the back glass.

Time to add clean up crew?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes you should be fine to add a crew......a variety of snails, ceriths, astrea, nassarius, turbos, and nerite are all good. Maybe a couple of peppermint shrimp etc. I am not fussy about adding hermits, but some people do. I think they like to shell jack the snails even though you add empty ones for their use.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yep, time for your cleanup crew!

It could be some sand dust on the back wall of the tank. Does it wipe off easily? Even if it doesn't, don't worry too much about it... you'll see lots of odd growths in your tank for the first year or so.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I think it is sand silt settling....it should just wipe off with a quick run over with a mag cleaner......You should think of stacking your rock to create caves and swim throughs for your fish when you get them.....make sure the rocks are stable and not likely to fall once you have them stacked securly....otherwise you are on your way!

Carp

Small Fish
Nov 23, 2008
Ok I have my clean up crew 8 hermit crabs, 3 Nassarius snails, 2 small fiddler crabs.

My nassarius snail ate 2 of my live crabs I thought they were suppose to eat only dead things?

Any suggestions?

Carp

Small Fish
Nov 23, 2008
We saw the snail attack the live crab totally slimmed it and try to eat it. The crab was alive. I have a murdering snail.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
These snails must have survived hermit crab abuse in the past and are now dealing vengeance out to your new hermits ;)

That's odd though I've never seen mine bothering anything. Snails ignore everything crabs leave the snails alone with all the empty shells around.