Help, What to Get ?¿

Jordan

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2008
Iam starting a new tank up and i was wondering what would be best. Its a 25G tank and i was thinking eaither 1 or 2 baby oscars or 1 or 2 baby red belly piranhas. I heard that Piranhas are eaiser to take care and that oscars cause a big mess and you have to clean the tank alot. but i want a fish that is fun to watch and that is aggressive. Can you guys let me know what you think would be best
thanks.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
first i just want to say welcome to the site. in terms of your question, i would have to veto both ideas. both fish will get too large for a 25g tank, and i know you said baby ones, but what would be your plan for when they need a much bigger living space? piranhas are also schooling fish, and do much better in groups. if you want fun to watch/aggressive fish you could go with smaller cichlids or if you want to go with a brackish tank, puffers. there are dwarf puffers which are strictly freshwater. they stay very small, but have big personalities and will rip apart anything you put in the tank.

Jordan

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2008
when they get to big ill be moving them to a larger tank, my uncle has lots of tanks 70G and up, but iam set on piranhas or oscars, how many piranhas should be in a school ? and do oscar fish do better in schools ?

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
i still recommend looking at other options, but if it is one or the other, get an oscar, as in 1. they do just fine on their own, and can be aggressive towards other oscars. you would need a lot more room to house piranhas, plus the food costs would be a lot higher, and i can bet they are messier than the oscar.

HAAA

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Inland Empire
yea i would get an oscar they have lots of personality if i was you i would go with an oscar and a puffer but im not sure about that combo someone will correct me sooner or later

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Iam starting a new tank up and i was wondering what would be best. Its a 25G tank and i was thinking eaither 1 or 2 baby oscars or 1 or 2 baby red belly piranhas. I heard that Piranhas are eaiser to take care and that oscars cause a big mess and you have to clean the tank alot. but i want a fish that is fun to watch and that is aggressive. Can you guys let me know what you think would be best
thanks.
If you don't mind my asking, why something aggressive? I tend to stick with less aggressive fish after some bad experiences. I've never seen a red belly piranha.... I think it's time for google. I must say though, I like the way Oscars look. If I ever manage to have enough room, I'll have to get me a 55 gallon with an Oscar.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
If you're set on getting Oscars or piranhas I HIGHLY recommend you read through this web site throughally (Monster Fish Rescue Website) many people don't really understand what they are getting into by buying these fish and find themselves throughally unprepared for the long term commitments involved in their care.

NOW, if you want something a lot LIKE a pirahana but suitable for your tank I suggest a small school of tiger barbs or black skirt tetras. Black skirts are quite literally from the same family as pirahanas but stay small and are very hardy fish ideal for a beginner aquarist. In a 25G you could have like 10 of them and get to see all sorts of fascinating schooling behavior and watch them swarm away at feeding times (especially if you give them frozen blood worms!). Tiger barbs have similar behaviors as well, but are a little more aggressive you could have a school of about 6 to 8 of them in a 25G.

I promise you you'll find these options MUCH more rewarding and enjoyable then throwing an oscar or a pirahana in a tiny tank only to have it die or diseased inside a very short time from being over crowded.

HAAA. I would ask you not to give advice like that. An Oscar and a puffer are COMPLETELY incompatable fish. Not only are they both aggressive, territorial and likely to kill eachother horribly they exist in completely differant water conditions. Puffers largely being brackish or marine (except for the smaller varieties which an oscar would eat) and oscars being cichlids. Further more a 25G is too small for either fish.

Last edited:

Jordan

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2008
thank you all for the advie so far, iam going to try just to get 1 oscar and put it into a much larger tank 70G or up or i might buy some tiger barbs or black skirt tetras can u put the tiger barbs and black skirt tetras in the same Tank ? can i mix them with other fish ?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Contrary to popular belief, piranhas are actually pretty boring to keep in a tank. They spend most of their time "sitting" and not moving. Oscars are also a more advanced fish to keep. They sell lots of little babies in fish stores to unsuspecting owners. You can always keep one of these options later, but in the meantime I suggest you start with something more basic in your tank until you get the hang of maintaining it. If you want an interesting semi aggressive tank you have tons of options, but let me warn you that having to fish out dead fish really is no fun.

Here is my suggestion: 5-7 tiger barbs, 1 gourami (any color), and a crayfish on the bottom. This tank would be full of color, active, and predatory as the crayfish is a tough little bugger that will sometimes catch fish and eat them. You could also replace the tiger barbs with the black skirts if you wanted.

Of course, do NOT add ANY fish to your tank before you are familiar with cycling. Take a look at the link in my signature for some good information on setting up your tank for success.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Well actually it's unnatural for them. They're schooling fish and best in groups of 6 or more.

What exactly are you thinking when you think of 'aggressive' Jordan?

Jordan

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2008
when i think of aggressive i think of a fish that runs the show in the tank, Eg kills everything and is fun to watch feed , i want a fish like that.

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
No offense Jordan, but I definitely think that somewhere down the line you're going to have an animal activist advocate jump down your throat about how you're abusive to animals and such. Won't be me, I'm not that kind of guy... just saying keep an eye out because I guarantee it'll happen.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Jodan I'd recommend you look at getting a 55G brackish tank and a puffer then. These little guys (who get big) have teeth. They eat snails (infact they NEED to eat snails every day to keep their teeth down) and a plethora of other live foods. It's the only thing you'll be able to keep in the tank because it'll kill everything else.

You'll need a seperate small tank to breed snails for them and keep feeders when you have them. You'll need to do some research on brackish water (there's some stickies on the brackish thread) and what kind of puffer to get too but I think that's the best fit for you.

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Tab, I think I really want to convert my 10g tank for an Indian Puffer for the girlfriend. Unfortunately she feels that she wants more than just the puffer in the tank, but she really wants the puffer. Would I have to take the same precaution of having another tank to breed snails / feeders for the puffer, and do you know of any websites / forums that will detail the instructions on being able to do that?

Thanks!

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
Another possible option, if you don't mind hybrids, is a flowerhorn. I can say from experence that they are aggressive and rule the tank with a iron fist. Not to mention they can handle most any kind of water. The flowerhorn I had was eating the peacock bass (which was half its size) alive. The peacock bass had a strip down each side of its body to the flesh from the flowerhorn. And the flowerhorn i had was beautiful and fairly active. My avitar is a pic of the flowerhorn i had. they will also eat anything you put into the tank ( flakes, pellets, other fish etc...). We really loved that fish but we couldn't keep other fish with it unless they had a place to hide and get away from the tyrant. We had it in a 55 gal tank which was nice as when we got rid of it, it was apx 8 to 9 inches long. Just a suggestion.