Help with ICK.....

kaneda33

Small Fish
Jan 15, 2008
Wow, thanks for the info. A lot of good stuff in your post.

What concentration were you shooting for? Or rather, how do you determine necessary concentration of sodium chloride?

How often did you do water changes while you were adding NaCl? Daily? How much water did you remove during each change?

Did you just try to maintain a sodium chloride concentration in the water after each water change? In other words; would you add just enough NaCl after each water change to keep the initial concentration of NaCl the same?

No. Aquarium salt. Sodium chloride.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, NOT sodium chloride!!

Actually, when I was running seven tanks (small potatoes compared to some of y'all) I went out and got a bag of the salt (sodium chloride) you buy for water softeners. It was really cheap, and I don't anticipate running out anytime in this lifetime. ;)

You want to gradually raise the temp. I bump it up a bit at a time, so that it takes a couple of days to get the temp up to 86F. That may be overcautious, but I think that in conjunction with the change in salinity you can't be too careful.

You also need to add the salt in several increments. I add a third at a time, twelve hours apart, until I'm at the concentration I'm shooting for. This also gives you time to observe your fish's reactions to the treatment. If they seem altogether too stressed, you can make adjustments to your treatment plan.

I have used as much as a tablespoon to a gallon, but IMHO you probably shouldn't do that with certain fish. With some tanks I just used one to one-and-a-half teaspoons to a gallon, depending on how my fish were reacting. However, I did the high concentration with a tank including cories, tetras, a gourami, and a weather loach, and only lost one cory and one tetra. Use your own discernment and do your own research regarding the salt/heat method.

I sprinkle the salt into the filter box. I've never read anything to indicate any problem with doing it that way, and it dissolves gradually into the stream of water.

Be sure you have plenty of oxygenation. Adding an airstone doesn't hurt. Running a micron filter isn't a half bad idea either.

You need to treat for about two weeks after you last see ich breakouts, if I remember correctly. Stopping too soon may lead to a recurrence.

At the end of treatment I bring the temp down gradually and do a series of 25% water changes, with thorough substrate vacuuming, to bring the salinity down gradually as well. One big w/c might do just as well, but I prefer to make the gradual changes just in case.

I've lost many, many more fish to ich meds than ever to heat/salt. This is just my experience, though.

Don't try to combine the salt method with using meds, though. Either one alone is very stressful for the fish. If you opt for meds, just follow the directions very closely.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
As for how much salt you want to add, I feel it would be best if you researched the topic and came to your own conclusions. I went for the upper limits of the dosing range, but due to your specific fish you may wish to go for a lower concentration.

A lot of people use 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon, but my research indicated that some use more, even up to a tablespoon per gallon. I had a bad infestation of ich in the tanks in which I used the higher concentration, fish that had been healthy and vigorous previous to the ich, and a strong desire to wipe it out for good. I had previously lost quite a few fish during treatment with meds.

As I said, you'll want to add the salt gradually, observing your fish after each addition of salt. I've heard that some barbs don't tolerate very high doses of salt, although I've never owned barbs, and of course you have to keep an eye on any scaleless fish.

As to water changes, it can't hurt to do some vacuuming of the substrate during the treatment, as you can remove some of the ich organisms that way. I think I changed out about 25% once a week or so, as I had done normally. Just whatever level of salt you've decided on, whether it's a teaspoon per gallon, or two, or whatever, you need to keep the concentration the same when you do w/c's.

kaneda33

Small Fish
Jan 15, 2008
Great, thanks again for your advice. Hopefully I don't really have ich in my tank but its better to be safe than sorry...

Now I'm sure you can't use typical table salt...what about non-iodized table salt? I read that there's a small amount of additives in there to keep it free flowing, I'm not sure whether or not those would be an issue.