help with lion fish food

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
first off feeding goldfist to lionfish is bad.goldfish are known to cause fatty liver disease in fish that are fed goldfish exclusively.if you are forced to feed live fish mollies are a much better choice than goldfish.ocean nutrition has a new prouduct out called fun feeders an basicly is frozen fish food in the shape of a fish on a small rod that can be used to entice the fish to eat.if you try weaning the fish on to pelleted food try using garlic extract to attract the fish to the food. few fish can resist garlic.

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by catfishmike
first off feeding goldfist to lionfish is bad.goldfish are known to cause fatty liver disease in fish that are fed goldfish exclusively.if you are forced to feed live fish mollies are a much better choice than goldfish.ocean nutrition has a new prouduct out called fun feeders an basicly is frozen fish food in the shape of a fish on a small rod that can be used to entice the fish to eat.if you try weaning the fish on to pelleted food try using garlic extract to attract the fish to the food. few fish can resist garlic.
I know goldfish are bad for them that's why I'm trying to get him off goldfish.I'll try your methods.Thanks

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
no prob,i only say that because there is so much misinformation,that many people are never told of the dangers of goldfish.that or else the store that the fish came from only feed goldies and thats what they "reccomend".

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
try getting it used to frozen dead food. it's so much easier and cheaper. i'm so lucky i found a picasso trigger that was used to eating...yes...FLAKE food!! and it only cost me 25 bucks :D

and garlic is VERY good for the fish! it strengthens their immune systems and they like it! but the smell is extremely strong. lol

Tim

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You're just going to have to plug away at waving bits of shrimp or fish on a rod. Starvation will act as 'encouragement'. How long have you had the lion , and how big?

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by wayne
You're just going to have to plug away at waving bits of shrimp or fish on a rod. Starvation will act as 'encouragement'. How long have you had the lion , and how big?
I've had the lionfish for about three weeks and it's about 7 inches long.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
7 is quite big - it's often harder to get larger fish to eat nonnatural foods as they've had a while to get used to the old stuff

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
guppys would work but mollies are better because they are more like a marine fish than goldies of guppys.a fish is only as nutritious as what the fish are fed.rasing feeders on a diet of quality food should be fine.if you decide to use mollies another bonus is that mollies love algae and you could just rotate some live rock covered with algae to the holding tank to fed them

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
I could feed him mollies but they're five bucks each at the pet store and at Wal-Mart.I think I'll just feed it adult guppies because they're only around a dollar each and that I could live with.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
naw man,thats why you just set up a small tank for breeding them.you could probably grow enough mollies to feed your lionfish in a 20-30 gallon tank.convicts are quickly becoming a popular feeder fish as well due to the prolific breeding of convicts.buying feeders gets expensive quick and it leaves a lot of oppertunitys to introduce disease.guppysor cons would be the cheapest route though.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
umm.... like catfishmike says....mollies sound best to feed a saltwater fish.....but if u can find like anchovies or whatever those sport fishing dudes use, could u feed those to a lionfish (just interested, i wish i had a lionfish)

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
It really isn't such a good idea to feed a lionfish baitfish caught in the ocean, you run the risk of introducing parasites that way.

I've always fed lionfish black molly fry. Especially the very small lions (<3in) that were too tiny to swallow anything bigger.

Mollies are great breeders, especially in brackish conditions. Just make sure you switch your breeders so that you don't exhaust them. The way you do this is just put some fry aside and let them grow up to reproduce. Every so often you might have to enhance your breeding stock by purchasing new males/females when the old breeders start looking a bit reproductively hargard.

Personally for me I've never had much success in getting a lionfish to eat something frozen, but it is worth a shot. Occassionally if I had some raw shrimp, I would get them to eat it by "accident" by making it float in the water during feeding time, and the lion incidentially got it when ambushing something else.
~~Colesea

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
How long would it take for mollies to breed?Also how long does it take the fry to get to around one inch in size because my lionfish will eat things somewhere in that size range(it got my one and a half inch clarki clownfish in it's mouth when I first bought the clownfish but luckily I was able to take it away from him with the little fish net and the clownfish recovered)