Help with my goldfish

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
you can't really as the effects are permanent. All you can do is try to keep those levels down from now on.
Ammonia and nitrite should always be at 0 because even a small amount is harmful.
Nitrate is less harmful and you remove most of those with water changes.
How is that fish with the red spot doing?

Another feeding tip that most don't know: Feeding on the surface of the water may be harmful as the fish will swallow air. I intend to feed below the surface to avoid any problems when I get my goldfish. Just a tip I thought would be useful for you.
Good luck.

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Lots of water changes will help, but like was stated above, damage can be permanent and deadly. That is why it's important to monitor water conditions and to have a good understanding of how cycling a tank works.

hana95

Small Fish
Mar 25, 2009
UK
Thanks for all the adive :). I have changed the water, and the red spot is slowly starting to clear up, but he is still swimming upside down !

Thank you again x

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
It will take many water changes and careful monitoring to make sure your tank is fully cycled and the nitrite and ammonia levels are permanently at zero. Keep doing the water changes and measuring the water parameters with a good test kit! Also, when you're doing these water changes, make sure you really do understand what it means to have a cycled tank as you can start your tank cycling all over again if you kill off your good bacteria, which means your fish can get poisoned again and might not make it through another round of it.

Ammy

Small Fish
Apr 3, 2009
Just a tip, if you live near a petco or petsmart, they will do water tests for free. Just make sure you get them to explain the readings, otherwise they might just shrug and tell you that your tank is fine. Ask for hard numbers, not opinions!

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your fish. He's a pretty guy. :(

hana95

Small Fish
Mar 25, 2009
UK
The level of nitrite in my fish tank has dropped dramatically, thanks to all your help and tips, and my fish seems to be recovering. !

Thanks again, hannah x