help with sand

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Wow, nice place to live. Unless you're out in the sticks you can surely find a RO water source.

Diatoms are single celled organisms similar to algae which are fed by silicates. They're usually rusty brown in colour. You often see a thin film of them on the substrate in tanks in some of the fish stores. From my experience, tapwater causes a lot more than a thin film but as I said, it's easy to remedy once you change your water source.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Way to dig up an old thread :D lol

I only have to say that I second this statement wholeheartedly:
RockingCricket said:
...as long as you rinse it well first, you'll be fine.
That does not mean "get it wet and then throw it in the tank" It means you'll probably lose at least half of the bulk of what you have...it needs to be rinse rinse rinsed or you'll have a cloudy tank forever.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
angela said:
hello people
iam so mad right now......
after put salt in my tank i put the play sand in it
and is brown as it can be... some one tell me i can use play sand so i went to home depot and brought quikrete play sand now iam scare to just looking at my tank i have 55g i put 50pound of sand in it
have any one use play sand befor ?
as i say i got scare and take mose of the sand out of my tank anyway i still dont like the color of my water
iam thinking of change all over (new water , new salt)
please help ASAP:(

Hi Dont get mad calm down. I am using the exact play sand in my 55 gallon tank. I bought 2 X 50pound bags and have no problem what so ever. I washed the sand about 40 to 50 times. And had no problems what so ever. It took me about 3-4 hours but I did. The sand actually looks pretty good under the light.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I take it that silica stuff are the shiny little pieces? I just got done washing 60lbs of it. Hopefully I washed it enough. I washed it until the sand would fall to the bottom almost instantly. I took my hand and swirled it around until all the sand was suspended in the water. Then almost right away it would condense back at the bottom. Is this good enough?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yep thats probably plenty clean. The goal would be so that you can pick up a handful and drop it from the top and it should settle within a few seconds. This way it wont get picked up (and suspended) into the water column when critters are digging and get into filters or anything with moving parts.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Good. The marine sand that was on back order for me is now back in stock. So i'll have even less play sand I need to add now. I have 55g tank and I want 4" of substrate. Do you know exactly how much I"ll need? I currently have 80lbs of marine sane, reef sand, and aragalive.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I finally added the sand. I only had to use about 1/2 gallon of play sand. Well I probably didn't need to use any but I just did. Even though I did rince the marine sand and reef sand my tank is quite foggy. I have my protein skimmer running, should I keep my powerheads running?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
What can I do to keep that dusty stuff from stirring backup after it settles? Will the live rock in the tank eventually weigh down those fine dust particles with bacteria? It's finally starting to clear up and I'm afraid to even look at it in fear it might stir up again.